My Female Betta Jumped Out Of The Vase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last Friday I set a clear vase with a female inside the vase in a aquarium with a male in it, the female didn't like being in the vase, so this morning she jumped out of the vase into the tank with the male, they are courting but the male has not built a bubble nest yet, since the are not fighting I am going to leave them together to see what happens.I was going to keep them separated until he had built a nest. Len

Attachments

• IMG_0005 copy.jpg
    IMG_0005 copy.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0011 copy.jpg
    IMG_0011 copy.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0013 copy.jpg
    IMG_0013 copy.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0014 copy.jpg
    IMG_0014 copy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 47

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty funny. Lucky for her she landed in the tank and not out on the floor.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Neat! Just like Romeo and Juliet. :)
What's the temperature of your tank? Male bettas need temperatures around 84*F to build a bubble nest.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Neat! Just like Romeo and Juliet. :)
What's the temperature of your tank? Male bettas need temperatures around 84*F to build a bubble nest.

Thanks, 78 and rising (now) I didn't think about the water temps --senior moment-- Len

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Turtulas said:
Thanks, 78 and rising (now) I didn't think about the water temps --senior moment-- Len

Okay, sounds good.

Most of the literature out there correctly states that males fight with each other, and that females tolerate each other. However, I found that the literature may be misleading about the tendency for males to beat up females. Some males may be aggressive toward females prior to spawning, others not.

I had a male in a 5-gallon tank at breeding temperature (about 84*F). He built a bubble nest, and I introduced a female to him. Like the books say, I watched them closely so I could remove her if he started to injure her. However, he was a perfect gentleman and did not hurt her at all. I left them in there for about a week, and they never did spawn, perhaps because the female was not ripe. Nevertheless, the male was not aggressive toward the female at all.

If they had spawned, though, I would certainly have needed to remove the female. As in many fish, it is the male who guards the nest, and he would try to shoo away the female. Without anywhere to go, she would be unable to escape and could get killed if not removed in time.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Every summer for the past few years I have been spawning bettas. I put a pair outside in an old clawfoot bathtub. No filtration just several plants. By September I start catching them up, I usually end up with about 100 bettas from that pond. I end up giving them away, I prefer to only keep about 20 for myself. They are very nice fish to keep, best of luck with them.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Benjamin said:
Every summer for the past few years I have been spawning bettas. I put a pair outside in an old clawfoot bathtub. No filtration just several plants. By September I start catching them up, I usually end up with about 100 bettas from that pond. I end up giving them away, I prefer to only keep about 20 for myself. They are very nice fish to keep, best of luck with them.

That's really cool. :)

Akronic

5 Year Member
the way i have kept/bred my bettas is i will put the female in a 1quart mason jar w/ a lid and holes(they make plastic lids for mason jars) wait till she develops the darker stripes/bands and yeah the male needs to be able to see her and if he build a nest i then separate the two for a day or so re-introduce her in the same way (in the jar so the male cant tear her up) and when i think they are both ready i make sure i put some kinda floating plant(plastic or real doesnt matter) basically if the male starts to get to agressive befor they lock together the female can usually escape and hide in the "brush" since the males have such longer fins they dont move around so well in the heavy "brush" then i just wait for them to both be receptive and just monitor them for a few hours, but after the mating (body locking together, if succesful and no way to tell) i take the female back out and back into her own tank. what i have heard is that most of the males you see/get in pet stores are actually to old usually to produce viable young. bettas dont live very long, so the males you usually find are already PAST their prime. the female usually are still fertile but it's the older males that prove to be the duds in most cases. hopes this helps some

Status
Not open for further replies.