My Experiences with Spraying Shells VS Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
This is just my experience. Not something to debate. This is just what I have personally seen.

Long read sorry!

So as most of you know now. Spraying a tortoises shell plays a vital role in whether or not it stays smoother or not (at least with our captive bred babies).

When I first joined the forum in 2009, there was no talk about spraying a tortoises shell with water. Except for redfoots/yellowfoots. Spraying a leopard tortoise was not common knowledge.

At about a year old. My first Leopard, Thor had some decent pyramiding. I got him at about 4 months old, and I doubt he was sprayed at all those first few months.

He was always kept on moist (almost dripping wet) coconut coir. Had plenty of hides and humidity was usually between 60-99% (90%+ in the hides). Was fed spring mix, endive, kale, escarole, hibiscus, collards, turnips and many other high nutritional greens. Also was fed Mazuri 1-2 times a week (moistened).

He was also soaked numerous times a week, on top of having access to water 24/7 (which he used almost daily). Vitamins once a week, with calcium daily as well.

No matter how humid I kept it, I noticed my little tortoise just kept getting worse. Once he hit about a year old, was when Tom mentioned that he knew keepers that sprayed their Leopards shells and they had very smooth shells.

So from Thor being 1 years old, until now (About 2 years old now). I sprayed Thor's shell 1-5 times daily. I haven't noticed it starting to smooth out yet, and it slowly gets worse as time goes on. But it has seemed to slow it down some. I think what people say is true. In that it will take many years to start reversing it.

Here he was at a year old.
000_0043.jpg

And now.
Thor2YearsOld3.jpg

He's still an active healthy tortoise. Just with a non-smooth shell.

And now Sif. I got her at around 4 months old as well. And again, doubt she was sprayed those first months.

I basically gave her the same treatment as Thor. I knew my diet and enclosure were good. The only thing different with her was I sprayed her shell 1-4 times a day since the first day I got her.

Here she was when she arrived.
SifArrived1.jpg

About 8-9 months old.
Sif7months1.jpg

And now, at 1 years old.
Sif1YearOld2.jpg

Now she isn't perfectly smooth. But the difference between her and Thor is astounding. And the only thing that was changed, was the spraying.

I haven't posted in a while and wanted to show people how much of a difference spraying CAN make. Especially to newer keepers just coming in.

In my case, Thor's is just cosmetic. He is healthy as can be. Same with Sif. But I do wish I had known how much spraying the shells could make earlier on.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Interesting. I have a sulcata and he's about 3 months old now. I find it hard to spray his shell 3-4 times a day because I leave the house around 8am-630pm. I have a full time job so it's tough. I wake up at 7:30am to do his soaking routine and prepare his food before I leave.

When I get home, I soak him again and spray his shell, he eats then it's lights out around 730-8pm

What is the time lapse between sprayings for you?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
I spray my Russian's carapace every day- but usually only once a day.
Both of your Leopards are beautiful :)

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
fmadrigal said:

I don't spray 4-5 times every day. Usually it's in the spring/summer when they are outside most of the day. In the winter now. I've been spraying 2 or 3 times a day pretty spaced out.

Time between sprays is usually at least 3-4 hours. I work at home, so I am available to do it whenever works.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Seiryu said:
fmadrigal said:

I don't spray 4-5 times every day. Usually it's in the spring/summer when they are outside most of the day. In the winter now. I've been spraying 2 or 3 times a day pretty spaced out.

Time between sprays is usually at least 3-4 hours. I work at home, so I am available to do it whenever works.

Awesome! :D Thanks for your thread!

That's what I love about the leo's. The growth of the shell is more obvious because you can see the growth in white to black.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Nice thread! Very interesting! I spray mine 3-4 times a day and sometimes more, she really likes it. She is an adult so does it matter anymore?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
CtTortoiseMom said:
Nice thread! Very interesting! I spray mine 3-4 times a day and sometimes more, she really likes it. She is an adult so does it matter anymore?

The spraying can't hurt. But I am not sure that it does too much once they are full grown. Now if she's still growing, then it can help to smooth things out or keep it smooth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great thread Rob. What a great photographic demonstration of the difference. I have had the same experience over the years. Thanks for posting this.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice looking smooth shell, great job, and what a difference some moisture makes.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I have a question; if the humidity is high, their shell is sprayed 2-4 times a day, but their substrate is relatively dry, will they still pyramid? I love your thread though, the changes over time and your photography was outstanding.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
tortoises101 said:
I have a question; if the humidity is high, their shell is sprayed 2-4 times a day, but their substrate is relatively dry, will they still pyramid? I love your thread though, the changes over time and your photography was outstanding.

The substrate in my enclosure is actually pretty wet. It's cypress mulch, and I add about a gallon I'd say of water every day to it. It's 6x4 ft and the cypress itself is about 3 inches deep. So it absorbs the water pretty well.

But if that was a general question. The rooms humidity is only that high because of the substrate being really wet. If you lived in a naturally high humid area, with a dry substrate I'm not sure what would happen. But dry substrates can cause problems itself like respiratory infections.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Seiryu said:
tortoises101 said:

The substrate in my enclosure is actually pretty wet. It's cypress mulch, and I add about a gallon I'd say of water every day to it. It's 6x4 ft and the cypress itself is about 3 inches deep. So it absorbs the water pretty well.

But if that was a general question. The rooms humidity is only that high because of the substrate being really wet. If you lived in a naturally high humid area, with a dry substrate I'm not sure what would happen. But dry substrates can cause problems itself like respiratory infections.

Thanks for the info, this is just a question I've been pondering.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
tortoises101 said:

I keep my substrate as dry as possible. I only spray my torts, and the plants that are in the viv. I've been doing this for almost 4 years now since Pio was 3 months old. So far so good. She's only outside for about 4 months in the Summer, and the rest of the time she's inside.
034-8-1.jpg

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ever since I joined this forum, I have been misting my Russian Tortoise daily - and his shell gets a good soak as well.

It's nice to see some comparison photo's... hopefully one day we will find out for sure what causes these problems.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
SnakeyeZ said:
Ever since I joined this forum, I have been misting my Russian Tortoise daily - and his shell gets a good soak as well.

It's nice to see some comparison photo's... hopefully one day we will find out for sure what causes these problems.

Yeah, I'm working on that...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Just to add to the thread, ours are really never "sprayed", however they are in a high humidity/full sun environment from day one. We never experience pyramiding. Here is a good example of one that we sold last year that was about 11 months old. They roam daily with full sun available and seldom sprayed or soaked.
4ka9uf.jpg

Here is another, a 25 monbth old.

4toj90.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greg I have to work really hard to try and simulate what you have naturally there. Sometimes its very frustrating. But once mine are adults and don't need the humidity so much, I am on easy street here. We have cool summer nights and hardly any mosquitos or other pesky bugs. When hey say its a "dry" heat, it really does make a difference. The dryness here prevents me from working with some of the species that I'd really like to work with. Like redfoots, manouria, and lately your beautiful Aldabras. Anyhow, all that shell spraying and soaking is NECESSARY out here where I am.

On the other hand, the weather here is great for Gopherus, sulcatas and leopards which are three of my all time favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.