My egg hatched ... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I'm so excited ... one of my Libyan eggs hatched! Now what do I do with him? Should I put him on a paper towel for a while and leave him in the incubator like I do with the box turtle hatchlings? Any advice would me much appreciated! :)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I'm sorry I have no advice for you, but that must be REALLY exciting! :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't have that species, but congratulations. did his egg sack absorb yet?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
jrcrist4 said:
PICTURES?????? :D congrats!! ;)

Not the greatest picture but at least you can kind of see him. He looks just like his mama! :)

Attachments

• 1001111815 (1).jpg
    1001111815 (1).jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 131

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Different people have different methods here mine if it helps: Upon hatching (completely out of the egg) I first place them in a shallow water dish to drink. The water is tepid to slightly warmer. It is suprising how many day old babies will drink immediately. I then place them in a brooder. My brooder is simply another incubator with the temperature in the mid 80's (84-86) degrees. In that I have 6" x 6" x 4" containers that contain about 2" of sphagnum moss that is kept moist but not really wet. I also have an open water container within the brooder to keep the humidity up. I place the tortoise on top of the moss along with it's egg shell. Many baby tortoises will consume their own egg shell as their first food. I keep the babies in the brooder anywhere from 3-5 days depending on the progress of their yolk sac suture. Once it is basically closed up I place them in a regular enclosure which is a miniture version of the adults.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
GBtortoises said:
Different people have different methods here mine if it helps: Upon hatching (completely out of the egg) I first place them in a shallow water dish to drink. The water is tepid to slightly warmer. It is suprising how many day old babies will drink immediately. I then place them in a brooder. My brooder is simply another incubator with the temperature in the mid 80's (84-86) degrees. In that I have 6" x 6" x 4" containers that contain about 2" of sphagnum moss that is kept moist but not really wet. I also have an open water container within the brooder to keep the humidity up. I place the tortoise on top of the moss along with it's egg shell. Many baby tortoises will consume their own egg shell as their first food. I keep the babies in the brooder anywhere from 3-5 days depending on the progress of their yolk sac suture. Once it is basically closed up I place them in a regular enclosure which is a miniture version of the adults.

Thank you! His yoke sac is already absorbed, so I will soak him and then put him in his own enclosure. Thank you very much!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Kimber he is just beautiful, congratualtions. Keep us updated on him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.