My dramatic entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northeastern USA
TA DAH!
No really, I tried to types this very informative introduction and the computer forze and 40mins of typeing was lost in an instance! Here I am again, with another attempt to introduce myself..lol

I am not new to torts or reptles in general for that matter. I have kept many creatures over my years of fascination with the living world. My most passionate endeavor was with melleri chameleons, which I bred.
I worked as a vet tech and treated many animals in that time; torts among them. My only experience with tortoises, aside from box turtles, were the 4 WC Kinixys homeana I kept. I also kept spotted turtles, diamondback terrapins, musk turtles, softshelled turtles, map turtles, painted turtles, snapping turtles, red earred sliders, and have had my hand in caring for a sulcatta or two, when I was much younger.

I enjoy researching the nutritional need of my charges and breeding reptiles that are either challengeing or have a need for concentrated effors at captive conservation. I never do anything small scale.....my melleri had a 21' walk-in cage, with auotmatic misting and live plants throughout and 7' cubes outdoors for summers outdoors! I used to raise 9 species of tropical roaches, as well as silkworms, goliath worms, ginat mealworms, crickets, mantises and stick insects, and as much of my own produce as I could. I also managed my feeder insects diet carefully...crafting my own dry mix of natural grains, bee pollen, and a mix of greens.

I have had to take a break from my love of herps and part with my chameleons, trotoises, tarantulas, and bearded dragons. I had several moves and chaotic split form a 7 year relationship, I lost my job and becam remployed and had to work many long shifts to regain a foothold, and the chameleons had to go, b/c after my LTC female died, I just couldn't endure the broken heart that came with feeding and caring for the ones that left....she was the start of everything for me...I had watched her come back from near death twice, to become a bright green, eating, breeding, and attention seeking machine. Melleri chameleons are intelligent and endearing, not the aloof and instinct driven animals many reptiles are. It was a huge blow for me to lose her.
In July, I lost my rescued American Bulldog after only 4 years. She died of undetected cancer and that was the last straw for me in a lot of senses.

I have since moved to a stable home, secured a stable job, am preparing to start nursing school this July (I have been a nursing asstistant for 9 years), I have a relationship that is loving and supportive, and even better is interested in participating in the management of a large collection of plants and animals.
Through my contacts made in the hobby, all of my animals went to good and capable homes...I never gave up on or dumped of any of my herps to pet stores or rescue agencies. I placed them with other keepers or breeders, that I knew and had built relationships with.

I seemed I might have needed that Spring cleaning to free me up to make some necessary decisions in my personal, career, and financial life and I have come out better at the end of the turmoil I have endured for the last few years.
That brings me here. I am interested in a companion tortoise. I want a reptile pet that I can interact with, that is long lived, that I already have suitable provisions for, and one that I have a fair grasp of what its care requirements are. I know what my limitation are and a tortoise fits with my place in life, fits with not really wanting a dog, but not wanting an all consuming project either. I am here researching the different species and comparing them to my Summer environment, b/c I want to have the tort outdoors in the warm months. I live in the Northeast, so I am making considerations accordingly. I hope to learn and make friends here and also give and gain advice. I know I have a lot to offer, with my experience treating reptiles in the past and also with my extensive knowledge base, regarding nutrition. I also know that I have lots of species-specific information to learn from the experienced keepers here.

I also want to breed my tortoise at some point and want to chose a species that can benifit from captive breeding. While primarily, I am looking for a ''pet'', I also don't want to contribute to the plight of the many sulcattas that have been mass preduced, malnourised, and dumed in rescues. I think I am looking at redfoots, Sri Lankan stars, or Burmese Mountain Blacks. My limitaions are mostly regarding my climate, as I have lots of space, and feel confident with any species, since I have lots to draw from, even if Kinixys were my only major involvement with tortoises specifically. Aldabras and Galops are my favorite and I tend towards larger tots, but I am limited by budget and indoor space, when it comes to that large of an animal. I know that the other three I mentioned are practical in my climate and within my budgett, even though the Burmese Blacks do get large. I am most favoring the stars currently, but I have more to learn yet, before I decide. I hope to learn about each species personality more by posting in the specific forums and that will determine my final choice.

I hope this was an extensive enough introduction and I have provided you enough information to make a sound judgement as to my lack of sanity and intentions towards tortoise keeping. Nice to meet you all and be here!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my! All of that information and we still don't know your name! :(

398638prurfuaufu.gif

I enjoyed reading your informative post! The "Ta Dah" at the beginning made me laugh out loud!

Good for you to be doing research on what type of tortoise would fit into your lifestyle.

I'm sorry you had to go through so much trouble, but they say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Glad to have you here on the forum and looking forward to getting to know you better!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Glad to have you! Remember to always have a positive mentioned attitude.
I really enjoyed your introduction & it tells me we are welcoming a knowledgeable person.
Keep us posted on what you decide

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Good luck in your quest for a suitable tortoise companion, and I will be interested to see what you decide on as I am from the Northeast too :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That is quite the dramatic entrance ;)
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll love it here :)
I can't wait to see what tortoise companion you will choose!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome to the forum!

Somewhere a lucky tortoise is waiting to be a part of your loving home. ;)

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Thank everyone for the kind welcome. My name is Andrew...don't we always forget something...lol
I will be lurking and posting in the species specific forums as I get settled into my new work schedule. I am leaving a part- time position and working weekend at my full-time position. I work three days and get paid for a full work week and full benifits, plus $3 more an hour!!! Wohoo! It will be a couple of weeks before I adjust working in the evening vs overnight and until I leave my part-time position fully. I do read in the forums daily and have enjoyed the information and photos so far.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
biglove4bigtorts said:
I work three days and get paid for a full work week and full benifits, plus $3 more an hour!!! Wohoo! It will be a couple of weeks before I adjust working in the evening vs overnight and until I leave my part-time position fully. I do read in the forums daily and have enjoyed the information and photos so far.

See it is all working out. You gotta just stay focused on the big picture.

If the 3 days are the same each week then why not get a flexible part time job? Everyone needs to hoard some nuts for the Winter.

Welcome to the forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Andrew!!! I have often wondered how you were doing. Glad things are working themselves out for you and once more your going to get a tortoise.

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.