My dog is afraid of her water. Your thoughts?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hey, Ed- How is Suki doing?
Thanks, Bea.
She drinks really well now. But only sitting on my lap with a little bowl.
She actually jumps up and begs for it.
The new food and water bowls are also on the floor in the kitchen. Neither of us has seen her drinking from that one. But I think that she might be at night. Or during the day if we go out.
I've noticed the level has been low several days.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@ZEROPILOT I think @Tom hit the problem on the head for the most part. Your dog may have similar behavior to our dog. We have a small dog. A golden doodle. We've had to change the bowls and move them to different spots for her to feel comfortable eating out of them. I've also noticed that she won't eat or drink if the food or water gets too low in the bowl. But then she will eat or drink once you fill them up.
Small dog??? My son has a Golden Doodle and a dubble doodle...both of them are 80 lbs and more...am I misunderstanding?
Well.
It's not a physical issue.
I can sit on the floor and stroke her fur and she'll drink quite a bit of water non stop.
So I'll just do that a few times a day until she gets over whatever the Hell this is.
Last August I adopted an 11 yr old cat from the local humane place....I was told that he will only eat if you pet him and stay with him while he eats...(oh hell no)...so I set up his bowls and food at the 'feeding station'...and I said" this is your home now and forever...you are safe here" and walked away...it took 3 days before he would eat by himself...I am not in the least suggesting this is your solution...just repeating my experience...and sorry I am not a dog person...but I commented anyway...;)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Almost 6 months later and she still drinks 90% of her water out of a bowl held in my hand.
She begs for it when she's thirsty.
She still jumps like something scared her. But it's pretty rare now.

Attachments

• 20200812_135638.jpg
    20200812_135638.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Suki has shown other neurotic behaviors in her 4 years of life.
At one point my wife demanded that I give her to @Pearly s mother. (For another ongoing issue)
But she is simply the sweetest dog I've ever had.
So, she's been well worth it all.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I've known at least one cat who would pick up a piece of kibble from her food dish and drop it into her water bowl. Pretty sure it wasn't to flavor her water, but rather to have something floating at the surface so she could gauge where the water level actually was. Maybe she was having issues with depth perception at the time.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Suki has shown other neurotic behaviors in her 4 years of life.
At one point my wife demanded that I give her to @Pearly s mother. (For another ongoing issue)
But she is simply the sweetest dog I've ever had.
So, she's been well worth it all.
Suki probably knows it, too! :) Everything tastes better hand fed... She's just the first dog I've heard of to extend that to water.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A girl at the pet shop has a cat that only wants to drink moving water.
I'm going to gift her that stupid $65 bowl.

Our cat, that lives full time with wifey’s mom, will ONLY drink moving water from the kitchen tap. It will jump up on the sink, meow, and wait for running water. Bowls of water near by stand untouched.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
She's totally oblivious
This is Simon. He is half Maine Coon and half Norwegian Forest cat. He's 2.5 feet long and 30 pounds. He can stand on his back feet and reach the kitchen counter. He is on a diet of Science diet dry and live food for protein, rats, mice and small dogs
100_4070.JPG
his feet are huge
100_4896.JPG
He's washing his tummy lol
100_4888.JPG