My Burmese Star

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elk Grove CA
Hello guys,

I haven’t made a post in awhile but would like to show off my Burmese star! I purchased him at the Sác Reptile show last October from tortoise supply and I’m so thankful to have him. He is super active and is always the first one out waiting to be fed compared to his neighbors. He is on a thermostat connected to a CHE, Arcadia UVB, automatic mister, and is on a layer of cypress mulch and repti soil. He is a very good eater and receives daily soaks. He eats a variety of leafy greens (dandelion, arugula, collard, turnip and mustard) some veggies, Terrerium grass, ZM flower topper, and Mazuri. He is growing super fast and has already gained more than 50grams since the day I got him. I’m excited to have this guy for many years to come!

If you have any recommendations on keeping this guy thriving and healthy, let me know!

Attachments

• FB366FC3-5AF3-477D-96B9-C809FAFC0B44.jpeg
    FB366FC3-5AF3-477D-96B9-C809FAFC0B44.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 131
  • C98B4549-EFAC-4EC8-9CC5-B4D4E312AF5D.jpeg
    C98B4549-EFAC-4EC8-9CC5-B4D4E312AF5D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • 9C3000D3-A6B1-4393-88B5-63BBC0570131.jpeg
    9C3000D3-A6B1-4393-88B5-63BBC0570131.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • B95DC695-FED1-47F7-BD9F-F9D106C1D5FF.jpeg
    B95DC695-FED1-47F7-BD9F-F9D106C1D5FF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123

jhilliard

Chicago
Looks great. Congrats!
Tom, I know that you're knowledge and expertise with Burmese is unparalleled so I thought I would ask, at what point in development (years/months) is it no longer necessary to keep a young tortoises in a humid environment without risking pyramiding? I have been pretty successful in avoiding any significant pyramiding (see attached pic) but would like to provide a larger enclosure, perhaps a tortoise table type. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I know that you're knowledge and expertise with Burmese is unparalleled so I thought I would ask, at what point in development (years/months) is it no longer necessary to keep a young tortoises in a humid environment without risking pyramiding? I have been pretty successful in avoiding any significant pyramiding (see attached pic) but would like to provide a larger enclosure, perhaps a tortoise table type. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for the nice compliment, but I can't take credit where it isn't due. I've only been keeping Burmese stars since 2013. I had no experience with them prior to that. Last year was my first year getting babies. I still feel relatively new to the species, but thank you for the vote of confidence.

Pyramiding info is essentially the same for all species. To answer your question: Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. If a tortoise is still growing, it is at risk of pyramiding. I saw some mild pyramiding in mine when I moved them outside full time. For this reason, I would house them warm and humid permanently. The "dry" season over there is still pretty humid most of the time. It will also be difficult to maintain the warm temps that this species is so fond of in an open topped enclosure. A closed chamber makes maintaining heat and humidity easy. Animal Plastics will make you a large 4x8x2' closed chamber and a reasonable price if you don't mind waiting for it.

jhilliard

Chicago
Tom, thanks for the reply. I will keep her in her humid chamber as much as possible, although that outdoor sunshine in the late spring and early summer here in Chicago, where it does get pretty humid, seems to be really good for her. Last question, at what age does a female Burmese reach maturity and stop her growth?