My box turtle needs help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erinhussey

5 Year Member
Hello I have an eastern box turtle. Blister type bumps have recently developed on her skin and some sores on her belly that have been seen bleeding a couple times. Here are pictures:

image-2201648251.png

image-3277420043.png

image-3544037600.png

Her water gets changed immediately if it gets dirty with fresh filtered water. we are currently trying keeping her out of her water for most of the day, letting her swim around for an hour or two the taking her back out to dry. The sores are really bad though and I read about sulfate and potassium permanganate soaks. Would either of those work? If so are there any sites that I could order the stuff from? Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You ARE aware that box turtles are land turtles, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us your set up. I also think you should take it to a reptile vet. I am not as experienced as others, but that looks nasty to me. See what others say. But it will help a lot if you give us all the info you can about how you house her, substrate, lighting, temps, humidity, etc.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
This looks bad. You need to get her to a vet asap. Where are you located?

Erinhussey

5 Year Member
Yes I know that she's a land turtle but she spends a lot of time in her water dish. Actually today her legs are almost clear and the swelling on her belly has gone completely down. Still a little pink but we're going to wait one more day to take her to the vet. I'll update with pictures soon.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Wow, it's strange all the trauma is to her back half. Is her water near her heat lamp?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think she's spending a lot of time in the water, because it's soothing to her. I would treat with an antibacterial ointment like bacitracin right away. If it's bacterial, it should look better very soon. If you add tetracycline (terramycin)to her soaking water, it would be even better. A feed store would carry this in the poultry section.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome to the forum. When a turtle isn't feeling well, they will sit in the water all day. Please don't wait...get her to a Vet soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.