My box turtle died out of Nowhere

MNGuy

Location (City and/or State)
Minneapolis, MN
I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm no expert, but I've seen a lot of animals after they die (hunting, fishing, slaughter) and they will always look "off" when they're dead even if they were fine beforehand.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
I have a three 2 to 4-year-old box turtle not sure what type bought her a couple of years ago off craigslist for $25 she has been doing great for the last year or two and I am not unfamiliar with box turtles she has her own outdoor pen with sufficient access to water shade and burrowing spots I came out to check on her again this morning like I always do and she was fine about five minutes ago I went to pick her up and she’s dead she always has a very outgoing personality and loves to be held I’ve put her in a soak in case she is notDead but I believe she is I don’t know what happened I have attached some photos if anyone knows please let me know I am located in Southern California California it’s about 75 right now my box turtles have a heated house which I know is not necessary but I want to take every precaution necessary she did not get cold last night and the rest of my box turtles are doing fine

View attachment 316544View attachment 316545View attachment 316546View attachment 316547View attachment 316548View attachment 316549
I am so sorry that you are going through this. This happened to me on Nov. 15. 2020. My little Russian, Derrick died. We were all heartbroken. The shock of it is still with me. He was only 10 or 11 years old.

m irwin

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
I too had a box turtle (Ornate) recently die, looked exactly like yours with eye's fully shut and legs protruding. All my box turtles live outside 100% of the time and while colder right now, it's certainly not that cold compared to the plain states where they are indigenous too. Iowa gets much colder than North Texas is what I'm saying.... Just as you say, she seemed totally fine and the next day - dead. Who knows why? No bubbles from the mouth or nose, no mouth breathing, no ear absences, no obvious injury, nothing. All I can say is maybe it was old age although I have no idea how old she was. Had her approximately 5 years.... Sorry for you loss. I'm sure you gave him/her a good life....