Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
These lizards have been right under my nose for years and I just never "discovered" them. For years I just walked right by them in the pet stores and reptile shows. Nobody I know had one, and I just never really took the time to meet one. I "noticed" them around 6 months ago and have been reading and researching them ever since. Until just recently, I had never owned one.

Well our own Jeff G has corrected that situation. He shipped me one of his hatchlings this year and gave me a thorough explanation of all I needed to know about them. I've always heard they are great pets, but they are REALLY great pets! Most of my lizards and tortoises I think of as "just reptiles". Don't get me wrong. I love them all, but my little hatchling skink is really a "pet" in the traditional sense of the word. He rides around on my shoulder like my pet rats used to. I just carry him around outside in broad daylight in the sun and he has never tried to jump off of me or become stressed in any way. He's my little buddy. I had him on my shoulder while I was preparing the bowl of meat for my monitor lizard and I could see his tongue start to go. I let him crawl down my arm to my hand and I held him up to the bowl of meat. He started eating out of the bowl! I had been walking around with him for 15 minutes or more and I was holding him on my hand while he was eating from a strange bowl in a strange place, right out in the open. He just has no fear and is not stressed in a situation where most reptiles would be. Man, I just love this little guy.

They are often referred to as the perfect reptile pet and I have to agree, now that I have one. Here's why:
1. They are super easy to set up and maintain. I cannot think of an easier reptile to set up. Lots of room for error or for different climates. Good for any skill level, including first time reptile owners. They need some substrate, a hide, a water bowl and a small heat lamp. That's it. You can make it more fancy if you like, but that is all they "need". A 40-60 gallon size tank is "big enough" for an adult, but I'll use something bigger. They get kind of big, 18-24", but not huge. They are big enough that I'm not afraid to hurt him when I pick him up and handle him, but not so big that they become difficult to house or feed. They are also super hardy and not prone to any diseases or health maladies.
2. Super easy to feed. Pedigree canned beef dog food and mixed veggies. They will eat just about anything, but these two items will give them what they need. Mine eats roaches, other dog and cat foods, Mazuri, chopped greens, bird of prey or carnivore diets, bearded dragon pellets... just about anything. I'm following Jeff's advice and sticking mainly with the Pedigree and mixed veggies, but I let him sample lots of other stuff too. Jeff recommends some calcium supplementation too.
3. Personality. They are fearless, inquisitive, interested, interesting, bold, curious, etc... They seem to be very thoughtful and contemplative. When I look into his eye, there is someone looking back at me. Somebody is definitely home! I've never had a lizard that would ride around on my shoulder out in the sun and NOT bite, poop on me, jump off of me and run or all of the above. And mine is just a hatchling a few weeks old. I've been told they get much better as they age. I can't even imagine how they could be better. I guess I'll find out.

4pt3if.jpg

15kmty.jpg

34602nd.jpg

In closing, I can't recommend these lizards enough. They are just perfect in every category. I feel stupid for NOT discovering them sooner. All these years I've been missing out on a great experience. And Jeff is simply the best. I have never had a better or smoother transaction. Seriously, there is nothing he could have done to make everything about dealing with him more perfect. Not one error, complaint, problem, nothing.

I feel about these lizards the way I feel about my tortoises. I just want to tell everyone how great they are and I can't understand why everyone doesn't want to own one, or a bunch. Thanks for tolerating my enthusiasm!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
He is a little too snakey looking for me, but I used to think geckos were ugly until we got smallz.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
we use to have two bearded dragons (larry #1 and larry #2) they are very cool...lizards are fun.

Your new reptile is very handsome indeed...all he is missing is a shell :D:D:D:D:D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've been wanting a skink for a bit now. Your thread has helped with my decision :) looks like I'll have to hit up Jeff soon.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I've only heard good things about the blue-tongued skinks. My son has a fire skink which stay small and aren't know for their personality, but are quite pretty. May break down one of these days :p

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
those are a very pretty lizard man those are awsome :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That last photo is absolutely adorable... I used to own a lot of Lizard's as a teenager and almost all were caught in the Las Vegas desert when there was a lot of it, but I would have a hard time conviencing my wife to let me get another one now.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
AHH! My husband would kill me, but I love him! So adorable and love the sound of his personality! I had a bearded dragon for 10 years and he was so outgoing and awesome :) I will probably have to wait until we have kids and then tell my hubby that they asked for one, hehehe ;)

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I knew someone that had a blue tongue once, he was amazing. Loved to sit on your shoulder like you described, had such a great personality. I have wanted one ever since!

gmayor

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA.
very nice looking skink i have always laughed at those lizards because of how short their legs are haha when they bigger there legs stay the same or something its funny though, but still a very cool looking skink good luck with it.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Have Seen One Of These Before AT A Reptile Shop, Me and My Girlfriend Paid 2 Dollars
To Watch One Eat A Mouse :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think you mean...Ava's lizard! :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your lizard is nice Tom.....but that child....OMG!!! She's absolutely beautiful!! Those eyes..........wow!! I feel very bad for you when she becomes a teenager and the boys start noticing her. You are in trouble.

CJSTorts

5 Year Member
Jacksonville,FL
I have wanted a blue tongue for some time. Tom, your post finally convinced my husband that we should get one! Thank you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.