My Best Night Box Design Yet

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
There are a couple of things that stand out to me in these photos. First, there is no weatherstripping on the lid. Heat and moisture will easily escape through the small cracks. Secondly, there is no covering on the doorway. To hold humidity in, and heat, there needs to be a covering on the doorway. I'm sure that a humidifier or mister will help, but until the box is better seal I don't believe that you will be satisfied with the results.
We put weatherstripping on ours

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
How often do you have to fill it? I'm having a similar delima. Humidity is about 12% with just one small water dish. The box is pretry well sealed and holds temps at 78-80F when its 24 F out! And was thinking about a humidifier but didn't really know how to controll it. Was thinking on plugging it into the thermostat so that it would only turn on when the heater is on. But I didn't know there was a humidity controller avaliable. Thanks!
I fill it daily sometimes every other it depends on outside humidity. I do not use the hose. I had to play around with settings a bit to get it right

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
We had the same issue. I added this http://a.co/3jGJQms plugged into this http://a.co/g430BQP and no issues since. Keeps perfect humidity once you get the settings right
So I got a humidifier the other day. With that controller on the way.. stupid amazon.. Did you notice a temperature drop? Or having a harder time keeping temps up? It seems when I have it on during the day, the box is staying around 81 with 70% humidity.. Usually when it was off it stays around 85 or so during the day. We were about 75 yesterday lol (poor cold weather folks). I haven't had it on at night since I'm worried the temps could drop even more.. last night we were about 40 and the box stayed at 83 with about 30%humidity with the humidifier off.

Kaliman1962

i have the humidifier going 12 hours, i have a 4x4 totally enclosed, the humidity is only maybe 40%, but my tank is hotter too, i wonder if i need to soak the substrate too, but the lights dry everything out, any suggestions??

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
So I got a humidifier the other day. With that controller on the way.. stupid amazon.. Did you notice a temperature drop? Or having a harder time keeping temps up? It seems when I have it on during the day, the box is staying around 81 with 70% humidity.. Usually when it was off it stays around 85 or so during the day. We were about 75 yesterday lol (poor cold weather folks). I haven't had it on at night since I'm worried the temps could drop even more.. last night we were about 40 and the box stayed at 83 with about 30%humidity with the humidifier off.
I do wet the substrate once a week or so and mix it up well. I am not having issues during normal weather. This extreme cold is killing me though

Ron Blue

5 Year Member
IMG_0310.JPG
I followed Tom's directions in this post and made this box pictured above. In NE Ohio it's too cold to keep our sulcatas outside all Winter long - they'd be in this box for 3-4 months - but having the box allowed me to keep our guys out until the first week of December instead of late October. I hope to put them outside at the end of his month (March) as long as we get periods of warmer weather in between our typical 30-40 degree temps.

Great plan Tom, thanks a bunch.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
After much thought about what worked and what I wanted to improve over previous attempts, here is the latest version with a step by step pictorial on how I did it. It is time for my 2010 South African herd to move outside. They are moving into a 16x20' completely closed in enclosure. The enclosure is a wooden frame enclosed top to bottom with welded wire. It has a wire roof and the wire extends 18" down into the ground. The actual night box is 4x8x2'. I found a mini oil-filled heater to heat it with. The heater is on a thermostat and will be set to 80 for about half of the year and 70 over the warmer months.

Here is the lid. You can see the insulation in place.
14qv4i.jpg

Here is the plywood cover going over the insulation in the lid. The lid fits on top of the box and is hinged. There will be weatherstripping all around the top and the lip on the lid keeps the rain out of the box. You can see a finished lid for a second box in the background.
ao0wo6.jpg

Here is the bottom. Notice the door notch and how that will fit in later.
33xvjsw.jpg

Insulation in the bottom. All the insulation is 1.5" thick and has the shiny mylar foil side pointing to the outside. Don't know if that matters much, but thats how I did it.
18d5dg.jpg

Insulation on the floor all covered up.
259bwva.jpg

Here the front and back are attached. Notice the door taking shape. Since 9 animals will initially share this, and as they get older they will get bigger, I went kinda big with the door at 26x16". This way one of them won't be able to sit in the doorway and block all the others in or out, and later, when they reach adult size, they will easily fit in and out of this door.
py4o3.jpg

Another view of the front with the sides going up.
4ih5cm.jpg

Here the side wall insulation is in place and about to be covered up. This box is also double caulked to keep out any cold drafts on those below freezing winter nights. The only air movement will be from the door, or when I open the lid.
5bel9i.jpg

All buttoned up.
309og29.jpg

Here goes the front insulation.
1qsbuo.jpg

The front insulation is all covered up here. The 2x4 blocks there will support a 2x10" water tub holding shelf. Having containers of water inside will keep the humidity up in the night box, and act as a bit of a heat sink. This technique has been working very well in my underground sulcata night box.
359eov9.jpg

Here's a top view showing the area where the heater will live, the weather stripping in place, the door flaps, and the 2x4 in the back that the lid hinges attach to.
zvmt5.jpg

Here is the front with paint and door flaps and water shelves in place.
hv9f03.jpg

Here is the door. I will carve out the dirt where the door/ramp hits the ground so it sits flush. One "weak" spot of previous designs was the simple plywood door. I went to great time and trouble to super insulate my night boxes, but then just used thin plywood to cover the door holes. This time the door shares the same 1.5" insulation as the rest of the box. Door open:
14k9u85.jpg

Door Closed:
2d11h68.jpg

Here you can see the heater installed, the metal heat shield above it, the water tubs for humidity on the shelves, and my purple shoe box that holds all my electrical stuff.
3135d3s.jpg

Here are some of the babies enjoying their bermuda grass bedding.
118m8mh.jpg

Here is a wide view showing some of the enclosure. The empty wooden box in the lower right foreground of the pic is their 4x8' shade table/planter box. I will be filling it and planting leopard tortoise food in their in the next few days.
2qdd8om.jpg

One more view of the same thing from the other side.
30w1f0o.jpg

Well that's it. Tell me what you think. :)

Hey Tom, I hope you don’t mind if I use your pictures to totally plagiarize your night box?[emoji6]My Two are getting their outdoor house built this Summer (somehow... I hope I find some guy (or gal) handy with their tools which I AM NOT) and instead of trying to explain the specifics and trying to stimulate their imagination, I’d just SHOW them how it could be done. With your permission that is. I love your design! And I totally envy your skills. I could only do a decent job with decorating it and plant a tortoise garden around it with native to my area tort friendly plants to make it look natural (or cute). So, with your permission I’d like to use your well illustrated post in building my RF house, please?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom, I hope you don’t mind if I use your pictures to totally plagiarize your night box?[emoji6]My Two are getting their outdoor house built this Summer (somehow... I hope I find some guy (or gal) handy with their tools which I AM NOT) and instead of trying to explain the specifics and trying to stimulate their imagination, I’d just SHOW them how it could be done. With your permission that is. I love your design! And I totally envy your skills. I could only do a decent job with decorating it and plant a tortoise garden around it with native to my area tort friendly plants to make it look natural (or cute). So, with your permission I’d like to use your well illustrated post in building my RF house, please?
No permission needed. I posted it here in the hopes that other people would be able to copy it or use it for inspiration. I also hope people come up with ways to do it even better than what I've been able to figure out so far.

Here is a CAD exploded view that might help your builder:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/h...g-of-toms-night-box-with-exploded-view.97697/

Pearly

5 Year Member

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
After much thought about what worked and what I wanted to improve over previous attempts, here is the latest version with a step by step pictorial on how I did it. It is time for my 2010 South African herd to move outside. They are moving into a 16x20' completely closed in enclosure. The enclosure is a wooden frame enclosed top to bottom with welded wire. It has a wire roof and the wire extends 18" down into the ground. The actual night box is 4x8x2'. I found a mini oil-filled heater to heat it with. The heater is on a thermostat and will be set to 80 for about half of the year and 70 over the warmer months.

14qv4i.jpg

Here is the plywood cover going over the insulation in the lid. The lid fits on top of the box and is hinged. There will be weatherstripping all around the top and the lip on the lid keeps the rain out of the box. You can see a finished lid for a second box in the background.
ao0wo6.jpg

33xvjsw.jpg

Insulation in the bottom. All the insulation is 1.5" thick and has the shiny mylar foil side pointing to the outside. Don't know if that matters much, but thats how I did it.
18d5dg.jpg

259bwva.jpg

Here the front and back are attached. Notice the door taking shape. Since 9 animals will initially share this, and as they get older they will get bigger, I went kinda big with the door at 26x16". This way one of them won't be able to sit in the doorway and block all the others in or out, and later, when they reach adult size, they will easily fit in and out of this door.
py4o3.jpg

4ih5cm.jpg

Here the side wall insulation is in place and about to be covered up. This box is also double caulked to keep out any cold drafts on those below freezing winter nights. The only air movement will be from the door, or when I open the lid.
5bel9i.jpg

All buttoned up.
309og29.jpg

1qsbuo.jpg

The front insulation is all covered up here. The 2x4 blocks there will support a 2x10" water tub holding shelf. Having containers of water inside will keep the humidity up in the night box, and act as a bit of a heat sink. This technique has been working very well in my underground sulcata night box.
359eov9.jpg

Here's a top view showing the area where the heater will live, the weather stripping in place, the door flaps, and the 2x4 in the back that the lid hinges attach to.
zvmt5.jpg

hv9f03.jpg

Here is the door. I will carve out the dirt where the door/ramp hits the ground so it sits flush. One "weak" spot of previous designs was the simple plywood door. I went to great time and trouble to super insulate my night boxes, but then just used thin plywood to cover the door holes. This time the door shares the same 1.5" insulation as the rest of the box. Door open:
14k9u85.jpg

Door Closed:
2d11h68.jpg

Here you can see the heater installed, the metal heat shield above it, the water tubs for humidity on the shelves, and my purple shoe box that holds all my electrical stuff.
3135d3s.jpg

118m8mh.jpg

Here is a wide view showing some of the enclosure. The empty wooden box in the lower right foreground of the pic is their 4x8' shade table/planter box. I will be filling it and planting leopard tortoise food in their in the next few days.
2qdd8om.jpg

30w1f0o.jpg

We are about to build this. My husband is worried the insulation will not be good enough if it dips into the 20-30s at night in the winter. We plan on closing the door when that happens. Does your box stay warm enough in those nighttime temps? Our stores around here only have the insulation 1" thick. Do you think that will be good?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My night box is built like this and, with an oil filled radiator, it stays warm when nights are 30°. We don't see any nights in the 20's, but I'm sure it would stay warm if we did. The heater would run more often of course. I close the door every night. It keeps predators out and my tortoise in. I would suggest you ask you hardware store to order the 1-1/2" thick insulation for you. It will really help out on the cold winter nights. If they won't get 1-1/2" insulation for you then use a 1" piece and a 1/2 piece with it to fill the space with insulation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are about to build this. My husband is worried the insulation will not be good enough if it dips into the 20-30s at night in the winter. We plan on closing the door when that happens. Does your box stay warm enough in those nighttime temps? Our stores around here only have the insulation 1" thick. Do you think that will be good?

Its been down to 22 here at night and boxes stayed 80. Most winter night are in the 30s here, and my heaters don't even have to run all that much.

Like Joe I close the door every night on all my boxes, after I make sure everybody is inside the box, of course.

I also agree that you'll need 1.5 inch insulation. I use that and I seal the seems several times as I build to ensure redundancy. The sealing and thick insulation make all the difference in the world.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My local Lowe's was out of 1.5" insulation so I went with 1" of the hard green kingspan insulation and 1/2" of the foam / foil backed kind to fill up the full 1.5 inches. I'm not sure how much less effective this is compared to just using 1.5” insulation

Pearly

5 Year Member
Its been down to 22 here at night and boxes stayed 80. Most winter night are in the 30s here, and my heaters don't even have to run all that much.

Like Joe I close the door every night on all my boxes, after I make sure everybody is inside the box, of course.

I also agree that you'll need 1.5 inch insulation. I use that and I seal the seems several times as I build to ensure redundancy. The sealing and thick insulation make all the difference in the world.

Yes, yes Guys, please keep it going here in this thread! I’m soaking it ALL right in!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My local Lowe's was out of 1.5" insulation so I went with 1" of the hard green kingspan insulation and 1/2" of the foam / foil backed kind to fill up the full 1.5 inches. I'm not sure how much less effective this is compared to just using 1.5” insulation

Does your box hold the correct temp on a cold night? Seems like it would with your method.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Does your box hold the correct temp on a cold night? Seems like it would with your method.

He hasn't actually moved in yet, but this box is also setup for an indoor enclosure, so I was less worried about the possible reduction in insulation. I've done some test runs with the Olympus mini radiator you recommend and it definitely gets nice and toasty in there, and stays that way for awhile. I don't have any doors on it yet either.

My build progress is here: https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?posts/1594079

Thank you again for all your hard work in perfecting the best night box possible over the years Tom [emoji846]

NBCMad92

Essex

ao0wo6.jpg

33xvjsw.jpg

18d5dg.jpg

259bwva.jpg

py4o3.jpg

4ih5cm.jpg

5bel9i.jpg

All buttoned up.
309og29.jpg

1qsbuo.jpg

359eov9.jpg

zvmt5.jpg

hv9f03.jpg

14k9u85.jpg

Door Closed:
2d11h68.jpg

3135d3s.jpg

118m8mh.jpg

2qdd8om.jpg

30w1f0o.jpg

14qv4i.jpg

ao0wo6.jpg

33xvjsw.jpg

18d5dg.jpg

259bwva.jpg

py4o3.jpg

4ih5cm.jpg

5bel9i.jpg

All buttoned up.
309og29.jpg

1qsbuo.jpg

359eov9.jpg

zvmt5.jpg

hv9f03.jpg

14k9u85.jpg

Door Closed:
2d11h68.jpg

3135d3s.jpg

118m8mh.jpg

2qdd8om.jpg

30w1f0o.jpg

Omg! Literally have found this so helpful!