My baby sulcata

Joshualee67

Location (City and/or State)
NC
I use coco coir substrate and it’s extremely messy. Any suggestions?

xMario

Germany
My sulcata only tried climbing and flipped upside down cause my enclosure had no sight barriers and I think he tried to constantly get out cause it was to small after adding sight barriers she probably thought wow way more space and was ok with it she never tried climbing the walls after that

I think enclosure size and sight barriers are really important to make ur tort accept his habitat so a picture of ur habitat would be great

Obviously if u also put things in that are easy to climb they climb and they fall
[emoji16]
How do I keep my baby sulcata from flipping upside down?

Joshualee67

NC
My sulcata only tried climbing and flipped upside down cause my enclosure had no sight barriers and I think he tried to constantly get out cause it was to small after adding sight barriers she probably thought wow way more space and was ok with it she never tried climbing the walls after that

I think enclosure size and sight barriers are really important to make ur tort accept his habitat so a picture of ur habitat would be great

Obviously if u also put things in that are easy to climb they climb and they fall
[emoji16]

IMG_1446.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You can use fine grade orchid bark over top. The will allow the humidity to stay even cause the coco coir holds moisture real well! Also looks like it might be time to upgrade the size of the enclosure. I can never get over how fast the sulcatas grow! Good luck and remember “Torting ain’t easy”

Joshualee67

NC
You can use fine grade orchid bark over top. The will allow the humidity to stay even cause the coco coir holds moisture real well! Also looks like it might be time to upgrade the size of the enclosure. I can never get over how fast the sulcatas grow! Good luck and remember “Torting ain’t easy”

I know that’s right!! I want a bigger enclosure I was thinking of getting one of those hard plastic kiddie pools but I don’t know where I would put the heat lamps and how would I keep it humid? Lol. Very stressful. Overall does he look ok?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Messy. Torts are messy. Make sure your coir is wet enough and also think about adding a mix of fine to medium grade orchid bark mix and/or cypress mulch. A mix of all helps - make sure it’s nice and wet!

xMario

Germany
I think he looks healthy
But u definitely need to give ur little guy more space
One of the cheapest option in my opinion are plastic greenhouses or growtents I use a plastic greenhouse

I used a water proofed table cover in the same size as my greenhouse for the bottom
I hung the lights on the frame
I know that’s right!! I want a bigger enclosure I was thinking of getting one of those hard plastic kiddie pools but I don’t know where I would put the heat lamps and how would I keep it humid? Lol. Very stressful. Overall does he look ok?
20190506_074506.jpeg20190506_074533.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
make a frame with pvc to supports the lights over the pool and cover with a shower curtain. Not super pretty but pretty cheap!

Joshualee67

NC
I think he looks healthy
But u definitely need to give ur little guy more space
One of the cheapest option in my opinion are plastic greenhouses or growtents I use a plastic greenhouse

I used a water proofed table cover in the same size as my greenhouse for the bottom
I hung the lights on the frame
View attachment 278170View attachment 278171

That’s nice. Looks expensive though! Lol

Joshualee67

NC
make a frame with pvc to supports the lights over the pool and cover with a shower curtain. Not super pretty but pretty cheap!

Sounds good. I may try that. I also have a reptile rock that you plug into an outlet I didn’t know if he would enjoy that or not do you think so? I haven’t used it yet.

Philip Rome

Hampshire

I’m interested in peoples responses to this as I was going to move to coir.

My tort is a Greek, with no rear leg movements, so drags himself around everywhere.

We have wood chip covered in coir matting. I have been told on here that that isn’t the best, but for us it works for his disability.

Wood chips don’t soak the pee, so I’m looking for something else under the matting

Joshualee67

NC
I’m interested in peoples responses to this as I was going to move to coir.

My tort is a Greek, with no rear leg movements, so drags himself around everywhere.

We have wood chip covered in coir matting. I have been told on here that that isn’t the best, but for us it works for his disability.

Wood chips don’t soak the pee, so I’m looking for something else under the matting

The coco coir holds moisture good though. Poor guy never heard of that disability before! Hope the responses help you!