My baby sulcata doesn't seem to grow

Oninanew

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi everyone, I need your opinion about this situation,

I bought a year old sulcata last month. I named him Michelangelo (Mikhel for short). He's around 2.3 inch long and weigh 50 grams when I bought him which is relatively small if I follow the growth sheet. At first I don't worry much because every tortoise have their own progress. But then I weight him to see the progress yet I'm quite shocked that he doesn't grow. Well he gained 1gr but I don't think that counts as a growth, more like a margin error. As well as his size that I don't think there's any progress as it's still under 2.4 inch.

I wonder if it still considered normal for a year old sulcata to barely (if not) growing? Or did I judge it too quick? He eats a lot, around 5 times a day. But I do notice that he poops quite often, could be twice or even 3 times a day. His poop texture looks normal to me. He pees regularly and urates came once in awhile.

I have UVB lamp for him as well as cream for his shell. Use coconut coir as his bedding, and manually spray some water on the bedding as often as I could to keep it humid. Is there anything that I did wrong that I need to change or improve?

I hope anybody can enlighten me about this issue. Thanks a lot!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wouldn't expect to see any real growth in a month. However at 13 months old, that sounds very tiny.
Something was wrong in the way he was housed before you got him/her.
Describe your enclosure. What are the temperatures and what it the humidity?
A lot of Sulcata keepers have no idea that these need high humidity as babies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Can you post pictures of him? 50g is about right for a month old sulcata, not for a year. Under ideal conditions, hatchling/young sulcatas can easily double in weight every 6-8 weeks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just make sure all your husbandry parameters are up to snuff. Re read our care sheet and make corrections to his care, and nature will take care of the rest.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi everyone, I need your opinion about this situation,

I bought a year old sulcata last month. I named him Michelangelo (Mikhel for short). He's around 2.3 inch long and weigh 50 grams when I bought him which is relatively small if I follow the growth sheet. At first I don't worry much because every tortoise have their own progress. But then I weight him to see the progress yet I'm quite shocked that he doesn't grow. Well he gained 1gr but I don't think that counts as a growth, more like a margin error. As well as his size that I don't think there's any progress as it's still under 2.4 inch.

I wonder if it still considered normal for a year old sulcata to barely (if not) growing? Or did I judge it too quick? He eats a lot, around 5 times a day. But I do notice that he poops quite often, could be twice or even 3 times a day. His poop texture looks normal to me. He pees regularly and urates came once in awhile.

I have UVB lamp for him as well as cream for his shell. Use coconut coir as his bedding, and manually spray some water on the bedding as often as I could to keep it humid. Is there anything that I did wrong that I need to change or improve?

I hope anybody can enlighten me about this issue. Thanks a lot!
Something is wrong. That is way too small for a 1 yr old sulcata. It was obviously not cared for properly and/or started poorly by the breeder. Nothing you can do about that at this point except to now ensure you are giving the best conditions you can to allow your tortoise to start growing normally.

Please take the time to read this:

Try to upgrade anything in your care that does not coincide with the advice given there.

If you could post pictures of your enclosure and lighting/heating equipment, we can also give you advice to ensure everything is best as possible for your tortoise.

Oninanew

Jakarta
Thank you everyone for your response! Let me answer your questions (hopefully I didn't miss anything). And I put Mikhel's picture on weightscale as well as him in the enclosure.

Basking temp around 90 to 100
Cool temp around 80
Warm temp around 85-90
Humidity 75-85%

His current home is a glass tank because that's what I got when I bought him. I've noticed my mistake and ordered him a new enclosure that will arrive within 5 days (attached the picture how it'll look like)

I have a uva uvb lamp that I turned on around 12 hours a day. And use ceramic heater at night (he's in an air conditioned room with me that I turned it on in the evening so I used heater at night for him)

And after reading your responses, now I was thinking if it's possible that the breeder where I got him misinformed me about his age? That he's not really a year, but a month? (Silly but that's what crossed my mind)

Attachments

• 4BE01666-81B1-4161-B5A0-32BB2A8D5399.jpeg
    4BE01666-81B1-4161-B5A0-32BB2A8D5399.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • F11C55E4-EE6E-4968-ABBC-A2FEB2945CF6.jpeg
    F11C55E4-EE6E-4968-ABBC-A2FEB2945CF6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 228AD9BC-CFC0-4AC2-95B2-A5AEC94C1043.jpeg
    228AD9BC-CFC0-4AC2-95B2-A5AEC94C1043.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 20

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you everyone for your response! Let me answer your questions (hopefully I didn't miss anything). And I put Mikhel's picture on weightscale as well as him in the enclosure.

Cool temp around 80
Warm temp around 85-90
Humidity 75-85%

His current home is a glass tank because that's what I got when I bought him. I've noticed my mistake and ordered him a new enclosure that will arrive within 5 days (attached the picture how it'll look like)

I have a uva uvb lamp that I turned on around 12 hours a day. And use ceramic heater at night (he's in an air conditioned room with me that I turned it on in the evening so I used heater at night for him)

And after reading your responses, now I was thinking if it's possible that the breeder where I got him misinformed me about his age? That he's not really a year, but a month? (Silly but that's what crossed my mind)
If you look at the Enclosure section of the caresheet, your baby will do better in a large viv/tank where it is easier to maintain humidity and temps, than in an open table. So if you can cancel or change that order it will save you a lot of work trying to adapt it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Cool temp around 80
Warm temp around 85-90
Humidity 75-85%

The tank you have is much too small and barren, but a larger tank or tub with a cover of one sort or another is a better way to house them. The tortoise table you bought is totally unsuitable and you will not be able to maintain the correct temps or humidity in it. Read the care sheet that has been linked for you for more explanation. Just click on the link.