my baby striped mud turtle won't eat

susieq450

Location (City and/or State)
Kodak
I think the first little guy was sick when you got him. Hopefully you receive a healthy one this time. I wouldn't worry too much you'll be fine. You shouldn't have any problems with a healthy one. They're pretty hardy little turtles. @Pastel Tortie and @Moozillion can give you great advice.
Thank you all for your help and tips. I am just nervous.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I second what the others have said about turtles needing to feel safe and secure in order to eat. Which for babies, means places to hide. They seem to need things to be unchanging and predictable. With my first mud turtle hatchling (Jacques) she hid all the time and we never even SAW her eat for about the first 2 weeks, even though the food disappeared. My little musk turtle is still very shy about eating- he prefers to be near his leaves where he can dash to hide if need be. I would make sure he has plenty of things to hide in- both fake and real plants- drop in the food, then walk away. Check back later.

I also used to announce loudly, "I'm NOT looking at turtles! I'm not even THINKING about turtles!" after I dropped in the food and was walking away. It's both pointless and silly, but reminded me to try and think like a turtle...;)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I second what the others have said about turtles needing to feel safe and secure in order to eat. Which for babies, means places to hide. They seem to need things to be unchanging and predictable. With my first mud turtle hatchling (Jacques) she hid all the time and we never even SAW her eat for about the first 2 weeks, even though the food disappeared. My little musk turtle is still very shy about eating- he prefers to be near his leaves where he can dash to hide if need be. I would make sure he has plenty of things to hide in- both fake and real plants- drop in the food, then walk away. Check back later.

I also used to announce loudly, "I'm NOT looking at turtles! I'm not even THINKING about turtles!" after I dropped in the food and was walking away. It's both pointless and silly, but reminded me to try and think like a turtle...;)
Quick, she's not looking, let's eat!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
That doesn't sound silly at all to me. All of my turtles are in one room, and just as I'm about to open the door, I say, "It's just me!" I seem to get fewer splashes from turtles suddenly jumping into the water, that way.

susieq450

Kodak
That I would just give you an update on my new little guy. I have decided, with the bad luck we have had thus far, that I am not going to give him a name until he has been with us for a month - I think it will then be safe to say, he will be with us long term. I am thinking of a name like Lucky or Miracle - or suggestions welcome.

It has been a week ago on the 11th that he joined our family. The very first day he ate (pellets and all) and was very active in his new tank. However, he now hides all the time and doesn't seem to be very active. They keep telling me it is because he is still getting used to his new surroundings. On the upside, though, he does have a good appetite. He eats in a separate bowl and has a great taste like salmon, scallops, beef heart, and shrimp. Pellets are not much of a favorite anymore but the way I see it (even though I still put some in his feeding dish) is that as long as he is eating, I am a happy momma!! Does that all seem normal. I think he is doing well and what I am looking forward to now is to see him swimming around more in his tank. I am sharing photos of his new home, which is a 5 gallon tank that is placed inside the larger one (for space purposes) and he will graduate to the bigger one probably not until he is here, maybe at least 6 months? He has plenty of room right now considering he is so tiny.

Attachments

• 20200811_121417.jpg
    20200811_121417.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200811_145541.jpg
    20200811_145541.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200812_122227.jpg
    20200812_122227.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200812_122429(1) top view with turtle.jpg
    20200812_122429(1) top view with turtle.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It sounds like you're doing fine. Keep offering the pellets, whether he eats them or not. Call it an appetizer before the main course. :)

I didn't start in on my "tough love lite" with Pinstripe until she was well over 2" SCL, probably more like 2.5" before I got more insistent about the pellets.

Your baby is adorable! The only thing I noticed in the pictures is that some of his/her furniture may be right next to the glass, so do a quick check and make sure there's nowhere a hatchling can get stuck. When they get more size on them, they're more able to move stuff around if it's in their way, but a tiny turtle may not be able to get unstuck. Bold gave me a scare the time she got caught between her tank furniture and the back wall, and she wasn't tiny anymore at that point.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
It sounds like you're doing fine. Keep offering the pellets, whether he eats them or not. Call it an appetizer before the main course. :)

I didn't start in on my "tough love lite" with Pinstripe until she was well over 2" SCL, probably more like 2.5" before I got more insistent about the pellets.

Your baby is adorable! The only thing I noticed in the pictures is that some of his/her furniture may be right next to the glass, so do a quick check and make sure there's nowhere a hatchling can get stuck. When they get more size on them, they're more able to move stuff around if it's in their way, but a tiny turtle may not be able to get unstuck. Bold gave me a scare the time she got caught between her tank furniture and the back wall, and she wasn't tiny anymore at that point.

susieq450

Kodak

Thank you so much for the tips - I will move his "furniture" a little away from the glass because I do not want him to get stuck - one of my main fears. I know the issues with pellets - my other turtle was soooooooooooooooo fussy!! No pellets and nothing greeen!! Just bring on the meat!!!