My baby RFs plastron is starting to concave

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
I just checked on my torts, like I do every morning. Yesterday Little Foots shell was fine, today I find it concaving around the area where the yolk sac was. Can anyone tell me what happened and if my baby will be okay. This happened over night (I'm not kidding).

Picture 71.jpg

well, after Little Foot ate some food the plastron looks like it is starting to go back to normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you sure?????? I do not say that in a bad way...but you know sometimes we notice something one way on one day...then notice something we did not notice the day before....?

Because that is kinda weird...regular/then sunk in/then regular?????

Please keep and eye on what it is doing for the next few days, this is what I would do...to establish a "norm"...
:D

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
After I read this I looked at my leopard's plastron and I saw the same thing. Is this a bad thing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A "concave" plastron is common in alot of tortoise....while you likely will not find it pronounced in a hatchling/yearling...you will notice it more so as they approach juev./adult...and is another marker to indicate a male....now this is not true of "every" tortoise species but most.

In the case of the hatchling...as I said I would pay attention to its overall shell health to find that norm so you will know immediately if something is going off center....as well as I would make sure the hatchling is staying well hydrated :)

Wait and see what the other members have to offer as well... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.