My baby Leopard Tortoise is very sick and I don't know what it is!

Sascha

Location (City and/or State)
Culver City
hello, I purchased a baby leopard tortoise about a year ago, and he or she still hasnt grown much, seems to be always dehydrated, has symptoms of MBD (malleable shell and lathargicness) which I'm trying to treat, but I reecently got back from vacation and found its eyelids and skin on its front legs and neck to be black, gunky, and bleeding. Dodo's eyes are tightly shut and I'm not sure what is is or what to do. Dodo won't eat much either... Please help!

Sascha

Culver City
I also have several other abby tortoises and want to make sure it isn't contageous...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Set the baby up in a 10 gallon aquarium (or something the same size). This will be called a 'hospital tank.' Set the heat at 85F degrees all over the whole tank and cover it. Take the baby out daily and set him in a small bowl of 50/50 warm water and Gerber strained carrots. Leave him in there, with supervision, for about a half hour or 45 minutes. You can set the bowl back into the hospital tank NEAR, but not directly under, the light so it stays warm.

It may be too late to save this baby (black skin sounds like necrosis), but you've got to try.

I'd like to see pictures of the black skin to add to my learning experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I should mention: Clean off the bloody parts with sterile saline solution. You can gently scrub with a very soft bristle brush to aid in getting rid of any unwanted dead skin. Then pat dry and apply Neosporin to the raw parts.

Sascha

Culver City
I feel like Dodo has always had some problems, but its overall health has been getting worse

Sascha

Culver City
Also would it be fine to still keep him in the sun, to get Vitamin D which helps with the MBD? Or should I keep him inside?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What lamps are you using?

Honestly though I think he needs a vet asap!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much does Dodo weigh?
Where did you get Dodo?
What sort of home does Dodo live in? What substrate?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
What have you been feeding Dodo?
Any UV? What type?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
To me that looks like a biting injury. . . another tortoise has bitten him making it raw. He needs to be in his own enclosure with no other tortoise, indoors where flies can't lay eggs on the raw areas. When I enlarge that one picture it almost looks like the eye has been bitten out and is gone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also have several other abby tortoises and want to make sure it isn't contageous...
Do they live together? Any contact? Do they share an enclosure at different times?

Sascha

Culver City
To me that looks like a biting injury. . . another tortoise has bitten him making it raw. He needs to be in his own enclosure with no other tortoise, indoors where flies can't lay eggs on the raw areas. When I enlarge that one picture it almost looks like the eye has been bitten out and is gone.
Its not a biting injury, i tried to remove some dead skin from the area and it was raw/ bled. The other tortoises are female and I would think have bitten Dodos forearms too if they attacked him.

Sascha

Culver City
How much does Dodo weigh?
Where did you get Dodo?
What sort of home does Dodo live in? What substrate?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?
What have you been feeding Dodo?
Any UV? What type?
Not sure how much he ways maybe 100 ish grams
We got him from a breeder at the pomona reptile super show.
he lives in a 2ft x 1 ft tub with cocnut husk substrate which isnt moist which would cause an issue, living with 3 other hatvhlings which I moved.
during the night we move the tub inside ( temp of maybe 70F) and during the day the tub is in the sun with a log hide.
Weve been deeding them kale lettuce and some calcium supplement spray.

Sascha

Culver City
I dont want to give him up to another home but I really cant do the vet bills. what should i do

Sascha

Culver City
hes still definitely got his eyes
but theyre still shut and swollen
is this possibly from dehydration???? what causes gunky dead skin like this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs to be in 85 degree temps day and night,70 is way too low. He needs 80% humidity day and night. He needs to be fed a better diet then the few items you mentioned. He needs to be given warm water soaks for 30 minutes daily.
If your other torts are also leopards they need the same living conditions. Give the sick one the carrot soaks and add baby piedialyte to the soak water. For a healthy hatchling the enclosure size also needs to be bigger. At least a 2x4 foot enclosure until about 6 months to a year and then larger enclosure.
What species are your other torts.
Please read are care sheets for each species and make changes asap. You have a few things very wrong.