My baby Hermans won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

williesmom

5 Year Member
I have a 3 month old hermans tort and he is very inactive and doesn't really eat. Every now and then he may take a bite of something but yesterday and today he wants nothing to do with food and just goes back to sleep. I soaked him in a warm bath, and he fell asleep, moved him to his food dish which has different lettuces and a tort diet pellet soaked and I even smeared some mixed vegetable baby food on - he is not interested at all and fell back asleep. I moved him under the basking light which he moved away from within five minutes and fell asleep again. I am afraid he isn't going to survive. He is only 1 5/8" long and has never been very active but the last couple days he has slowed down even more. Any suggestions?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
While youngsters sleep a lot, I'd suggest taking him to the vet, just to make sure there's no health problems..

Also, for some reason, the color red gets tortoises into the "feeding" frame of mind...offer him a soaked pellet with a drop of red coloring (beet juice or even red food dye) added. That might be all the enticement needed.

What pellets are you offering? Coastal, a member here, sells Marion "Tortoise Sticks" and my 4 literally go nuts over those!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.