My baby Hermann tortoise is inactive! Might be a respiratory infection, please help! (Vet isn't an option)

TortoiseGirl (Ava)

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Hi! I got Petra a few months ago, near the end of summer. She was an active tort and she loved to eat. After I got her another newborn friend ( same species ) Levi, she started being a bit inactive. Then suddenly she stopped coming out, she ate though. I realize now, the temperature was too cold, it was only 23°C. Before I connected the second light to their enclosure, she ate a little bit and then itched her nose a few times and made a whistling sound which is bad because it might be a Respiratory Infection. They now have one UVB and UVA light and one normal light, since the one I purchased online isn't here yet. The temperature goes up to 40°C which is good though I try to keep it at 36°C, and the first day I connected her the light she was active and walking around, but she still didn't eat. Yesterday she didn't walk around for a while, I tried feeding her but she took 3 bites and went into her house. Levi (the newborn) is very active however she isn't. I feed them dandelions, clovers and all the food they find in the wild. I bough Petra in a pet store and they usually have RI's there. Every site says I should visit a vet but the vets here know hardly about dogs, so vets aren't an option. I really don't want her to die because she's everything to me, and if she does have a RI I'm scared it's gonna pass on to Levi. Her enclosure is big enough. I don't know what to do now. I always have to wake her up in the morning because she wont get out of her house herself. Also I don't know how to separate them because I currently own 1 UVB+UVA light. I also give them baths everyday for a few minutes. We all make mistakes but I just feel bad for her.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Most every one here recommends that you do not keep two torts together. This could be the reason for her inactivity. She feels threatened or bullied. You need two separate them ASAP. I don't know about respiratory infections, but if the tort does have one its possible it could have been brought in from the new one, and/or it was too cold/damp for them. Separate them for a month and see how they do.
Also post some pics of your enclosure. Some of the experts here will help you dial in the details and get it perfect for your shelled friends.

Hope she feels better soon

Reactions: Ink

TortoiseGirl (Ava)

Europe
Most every one here recommends that you do not keep two torts together. This could be the reason for her inactivity. She feels threatened or bullied. You need two separate them ASAP. I don't know about respiratory infections, but if the tort does have one its possible it could have been brought in from the new one, and/or it was too cold/damp for them. Separate them for a month and see how they do.
Also post some pics of your enclosure. Some of the experts here will help you dial in the details and get it perfect for your shelled friends.

Hope she feels better soon
UVB is crucial for tortoises and I can't separate them right now because one would not have a UVB light. They need it for growth and to live a healthy life. I bought another UVB light 2 months ago and it should be coming soon. As soon as it does I'm separating them.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I think you'll find most people agree that artificial UV isn't that critical for torts especially young ones. If they can get a few hours of sun a week pretty sure they will be fine. Proper Temperature, humidity and separation is more critical for babies. But I'm not an expert, I'm just regurgitating what I've read here on the forum. Im sure some of the pros will chime in when they wake up.

TortoiseGirl (Ava)

Europe
I think you'll find most people agree that artificial UV isn't that critical for torts especially young ones. If they can get a few hours of sun a week pretty sure they will be fine. Proper Temperature, humidity and separation is more critical for babies. But I'm not an expert, I'm just regurgitating what I've read here on the forum. Im sure some of the pros will chime in when they wake up.
Thank you : )