My baby cherry head redfoot is not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
N2TORTS said:
Psssssss....... if you were kept in a Square area say a 6'x6' room . Trust me .... you would be walking into walls too! ...:p

You make a good point here ... one I also try to avoid ,,,,Square walls with right angles, clear glass . Both of these your tort will learn very rapidly and most of the time cause pacing and excessive stress.
Lol, i understand this. But he is only in his tank at night till 10 am then back in for lunch for 30 min. Then back in at night so he gets lights in his enclosure probably 2-3 hours. This happened directly after taking him out in the morning. I wanted to see if the basking bulb would do anything for him...sure did...it was only a 50 watt basking bulb...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
myth that red foots don't bask, or don't enjoy light....
Its a complete lie.

I have four of the little buggers here (ranging in size from 3-4 inches to 8-9 inches)....each and every one of them take their turns at playing rug and stretching out and laying directly under the basking/heat spot for long periods of time--both in the am and again just before day lights out and night heat lights on....as well as they sprawl out on sunny days while in their outdoor enclosures.....

So, I have to agree that in my limited experience with this particular species.....they all do seek out the basking spot---and lay there for some time sleeping, until of course they get all toasty and then they move to a variety of other spots....:D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I have four of the little buggers here (ranging in size from 3-4 inches to 8-9 inches)....each and every one of them take their turns at playing rug and stretching out and laying directly under the basking/heat spot for long periods of time--both in the am and again just before day lights out and night heat lights on....as well as they sprawl out on sunny days while in their outdoor enclosures.....

So, I have to agree that in my limited experience with this particular species.....they all do seek out the basking spot---and lay there for some time sleeping, until of course they get all toasty and then they move to a variety of other spots....:D

Mine also basks daily.

jax7271

10 Year Member!
Ontario, Canada
I am taking info from all replies and trying to work out what is best for my little guy.... This morning he was upside down in his enclosure again; I soaked him and fed him (he ate a little) and he is still running around although I weighed him again and he is down to 41 grams...I have taken out anything that might cause a rollover in even the slightest way
I have them in separate enclosures because the bigger one is 152 grams and the little one 41 and the bigger one was a new rescue so I put them in different spaces.
I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if he is blind as all these things have never happened before...running into things, flipping, eating substrate, etc.
We have a reptile vet in town, but they are more educated in lizards such as iguanas then tortoises, so I'm not sure they know very much about turtles and tortoise

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
jax7271 said:
I am taking info from all replies and trying to work out what is best for my little guy.... This morning he was upside down in his enclosure again; I soaked him and fed him (he ate a little) and he is still running around although I weighed him again and he is down to 41 grams...I have taken out anything that might cause a rollover in even the slightest way
I have them in separate enclosures because the bigger one is 152 grams and the little one 41 and the bigger one was a new rescue so I put them in different spaces.
I'm wondering if there is any way to tell if he is blind as all these things have never happened before...running into things, flipping, eating substrate, etc.
We have a reptile vet in town, but they are more educated in lizards such as iguanas then tortoises, so I'm not sure they know very much about turtles and tortoise

I don't know of any way to tell if they are blind, other then just observing their behavior...But honestly, running into things could be just getting to know his boundaries...
Yeah that size difference is to much.
As long as he is eating a small amount, I would just keep an eye on him, keep giving him warm soaks, and he should be fine soon....Sometimes torts act weird. Just ride this one out :).

Status
Not open for further replies.