My baby Angulate has hatched!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
I heard about this from Carol - Congrats! One bit of advice would be to keep this baby very hydrated. I would keep the humidity in the enclosure up over 80%, soak her every day for 20 minutes, and mist her shell once or twice a day. We (the CAWG) have raised a number of babies in these humid conditions with success.

I also see that the natural incubation took 154 days, which is interesting!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Egg was laid on the 7th October 2018 and found this perfect little one yesterday. I have named him/her Cinnamon. I kept the egg exactly where mom laid it, just covered it to protect it. Weight is 18grams. Any advice would be great. Carol has been amazing this far. View attachment 267042View attachment 267043View attachment 267044View attachment 267045
Loving the pictures. Thank you Angie for posting the thread. Please keep this thread updated, as we need more about the Angulata / Bowsprit tortoises on TFO.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
I heard about this from Carol - Congrats! One bit of advice would be to keep this baby very hydrated. I would keep the humidity in the enclosure up over 80%, soak her every day for 20 minutes, and mist her shell once or twice a day. We (the CAWG) have raised a number of babies in these humid conditions with success.

I also see that the natural incubation took 154 days, which is interesting!

So much of excitement, I cant begin to explain! It's been a long 154 days with so much self discipline as I have been wanting to check on the egg so many times, but have resisted. I had nothing ready for her/him, luckily I had a spare fish tank, rushed off to our local nursery to get supplies and set up the tank. I will be getting all the necessary goodies, such as lighting etc. as I dont have anything on hand. It's pretty damp in there now as the grass is damp and so are the flowers and plants. I only have a fish tank light in there for now until i can get to the pet shop over the weekend. Carol has been amazing and has told me exactly what i need to get. I soaked her this evening for 20min. She hasnt eaten anything as yet, but have left food out for her.

Out of curiosity, why is the 154 days interesting?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
So much of excitement, I cant begin to explain! It's been a long 154 days with so much self discipline as I have been wanting to check on the egg so many times, but have resisted. I had nothing ready for her/him, luckily I had a spare fish tank, rushed off to our local nursery to get supplies and set up the tank. I will be getting all the necessary goodies, such as lighting etc. as I dont have anything on hand. It's pretty damp in there now as the grass is damp and so are the flowers and plants. I only have a fish tank light in there for now until i can get to the pet shop over the weekend. Carol has been amazing and has told me exactly what i need to get. I soaked her this evening for 20min. She hasnt eaten anything as yet, but have left food out for her.

Out of curiosity, why is the 154 days interesting?
Well, for the past 18 months, I have been obsessed with hatching an angulate. Incubating them in captivity has proven difficult, but a few people in the US have had success over the past 10 years or so. When reviewing each of their incubation strategies, and results, we have incubation timeframes anywhere from 87 days to 140 days with the average being 120 days. In the wild, incubation times can easily reach 250 days.

I have an egg which is at 111 days today, the embryo is going strong, so I am hopeful that it will pip in the next 10 to 15 days.

So, right now, everything is interesting ;-)

Russiantortylady

Vermont
I ordered my insta-egg and it is in the incubator as we speak..............I arrived on Monday. Patiently watching it and monitoring humidity and temp.

Russiantortylady

Vermont
Yes it did hatch, on 5/11/19, yesterday...............pic was taken through the incubator window. I am very excited about it. I would recommend buy a tort stork egg from Randy to ANYONE!!! He was phenomenal!! He was right there assisting every step of the way if I had any questions. I haven't named her/him yet.

Attachments

• russiantortbaby.jpg
    russiantortbaby.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 16