My babies are growing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sonoran Desert
I took this the same day I took them to the vet for the first time.

Morgan (tortoise in front) weighed 47g, Merlin weighed 41g. They didn't brumate this year, but the vet was pleased to hear that. This is one of two new playpens. One has globemallow, evening primrose, and curly mesquite grass. The other has penstemon, dyssodia, and desert lavender. They go outside for an hour every day when it's warm out. They spend that time exercising and eating.

Their vet says they're good looking kids and their shells are nice and firm. :D Merlin was extremely shy but Morgan was called a brave little soul.

I had been worried that I had been doing everything wrong, but the vet put those fears to rest.
morganmerlin.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good news for you, that's fantastic. Look really happy. The enclosure, what I can see of it looks nice. You should post a pic of the whole thing.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
Thanks! :) I wish I could say that is their enclosure, but it's really just one of two planters that I set them outside in so they can get some UVA and fresh air before I soak them. It's too small to put a good hide in, nor would I think of leaving them unsupervised in it because it doesn't have a lid. It just offers a safe place above the reach of red ants for us to bond and bask. I read and they browse for food as they would if they were in the wild.

I'll still take some pictures of the planters, though! The penstemon is blooming so it'd be the perfect time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That sounds very nice for them though. I love that you sit with them and read while they explore. Actually sounds very relaxing.

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
It's undeniably the best part of my day. I've learned a lot about their personalities and tastes in food this way. They're complete opposites in everything except cuteness.

Status
Not open for further replies.