My Aldabras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I've had these two guys for a little over 10 months now, and am seeing them grow right before my eyes. I have been logging their growth rates and they have grown 3inches - 3.5inches respectively. What I have noticed is that they are more gentle then my leopards, which is far from my sulcatas. They really are going to be gentle giants :)

**a warning for those who are thinking about getting one. They will eat you out of house and home. If not for the lawn they live in, I would be broke from groceries. They can go through a full cup a day of muzuri.

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

Clawhammer

5 Year Member
Western NY- USA
Awesome Photos!!!! the torts all look great too!!!!

do you keep all of those guys together? what sexes are they?

pga7602

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Clawhammer said:
Awesome Photos!!!! the torts all look great too!!!!

do you keep all of those guys together? what sexes are they?

Yes, they are all kept together. It's very large enclosure, so they have free roam. The only time I see them together like that is when it's time for feeding.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
pga7602 said:
I've had these two guys for a little over 10 months now, and am seeing them grow right before my eyes. I have been logging their growth rates and they have grown 3inches - 3.5inches respectively. What I have noticed is that they are more gentle then my leopards, which is far from my sulcatas. They really are going to be gentle giants :)

**a warning for those who are thinking about getting one. They will eat you out of house and home. If not for the lawn they live in, I would be broke from groceries. They can go through a full cup a day of muzuri.

IMAG0311.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

Then... why you just post their pictures now? It's a big sin here in this forum :D

What were their size when you first purchased them and what are theirs now?

Please share more close up pictures so we can admire them more :)

Tofuman

5 Year Member
California

I'm thinking about getting one, so that's good to know. They'll do a good job eating my overgrown Backyard.

pga7602

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
[/quote]

Then... why you just post their pictures now? It's a big sin here in this forum :D

[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't really know they have such a following here. I'll get close up pics this weekend.

Current Enclosure for all the babies is 1,600 square feet. They are blocked off from the main enclosure which will be 4,000 sqf when complete.

Both Cyclobs and Ody are 8 inches. Ody's weight went from 19.3oz to 56oz. Cyclobs went from 21.9oz to 52oz.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't really know they have such a following here. I'll get close up pics this weekend.

Current Enclosure for all the babies is 1,600 square feet. They are blocked off from the main enclosure which will be 4,000 sqf when complete.

Both Cyclobs and Ody are 8 inches. Ody's weight went from 19.3oz to 56oz. Cyclobs went from 21.9oz to 52oz.
[/quote]

Haha thank you. Waiting for your pictures :)

They are big and outgrow mine. Mine is only like 14 cm now and age is around 2 years now. Yours is like 20 cm. How old are they?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look really nice. Just want to remind you though the risk you are taking housing different species together. Not recommended. :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Beautiful! I love Aldabras, but I could never have one because of their size and weight. But, I'll admire yours and others here that have them. Just keep us posted with pics, please.

pga7602

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
[/quote]

They are big and outgrow mine. Mine is only like 14 cm now and age is around 2 years now. Yours is like 20 cm. How old are they?
[/quote

They will be two year old in January. :) How often are you feeding them? What diet have you put your aldabras on? Feel free to post a pic on this thread :)

I will update the thread with more pics of mine this weekend. Stay tune! :D

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

[/quote

They will be two year old in January. :) How often are you feeding them? What diet have you put your aldabras on? Feel free to post a pic on this thread :)

I will update the thread with more pics of mine this weekend. Stay tune! :D
[/quote]

I don't have the DOB for my aldabra. I don't know whether they are CB or WC, I just bought them from a hobbyist, but the age might be around 2 years by now from the former owner and from Greg's estimation.

I feed mine only once in the morning after routine soak, but they have grass available for him to eat all time. Routine menu is grass/hay and cactus. Other menu, I just rotate them, like various greens, plaintain, mulberry leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves. I'm planting grape tree now, but it's still pretty small.
Two times per week I will feed him a bit mazuri with calcium powder, maybe only around 10% of his total diet and sometimes give him a bit carrot. Fruits come as a treat.

How do you feed yours?

Please check my thread title "Megatron Photo Album" for my aldabra pictures and updates :)

pga7602

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
[/quote]

I don't have the DOB for my aldabra. I don't know whether they are CB or WC, I just bought them from a hobbyist, but the age might be around 2 years by now from the former owner and from Greg's estimation.

I feed mine only once in the morning after routine soak, but they have grass available for him to eat all time. Routine menu is grass/hay and cactus. Other menu, I just rotate them, like various greens, plaintain, mulberry leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves. I'm planting grape tree now, but it's still pretty small.
Two times per week I will feed him a bit mazuri with calcium powder, maybe only around 10% of his total diet and sometimes give him a bit carrot. Fruits come as a treat.

How do you feed yours?

Please check my thread title "Megatron Photo Album" for my aldabra pictures and updates :)
[/quote]

Wow, that's a great name! Well, mine eats spring greens, melons, hay, olives (from my olive tree that drops them), opuntia, cucumbers, asian veggies of all types, and muzuri on weekends. Looks like we have the same routine. Fed once each morning buffet style and grass throughout the day. At night they go hide in the bushes and I go find each one to get a nightly soak then off to their heat box enclosure till morning.

What are your plans for when they get bigger? Enclosure wise. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.