My 7 Decade Old Eastern Box is Eating Again !

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Beach
Thanks for all your help and comments. Maxine, my 75 year oldish Eastern Box is eating again after a trip to the Vet. Check out my 3 other posts for more details about my girls in the Introduction Forum. (Nice Site)
Also, I was wondering how to post a video of my indoor, two story Turtle Mansion that I built. Single photos just won't do. I can shoot a video on my Android phone with sound, I just don't know how to download it onto the Forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad this forum helped. It's the best place for correct info. I can't help with the vid, I don't do them, sorry. I'm sure some one will be able to though.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Thanks for all your help and comments. Maxine, my 75 year oldish Eastern Box is eating again after a trip to the Vet. Check out my 3 other posts for more details about my girls in the Introduction Forum. (Nice Site)
Also, I was wondering how to post a video of my indoor, two story Turtle Mansion that I built. Single photos just won't do. I can shoot a video on my Android phone with sound, I just don't know how to download it onto the Forum.
That's such great news! I know many of the members post their video on YouTube and then post the link in the forum. ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Because she whines and complains all day long...
;)

Actually, when I got her in 1969, she looked pretty old back then, so I took her to a local Herpetologist and she said that she was around 35 years old.
That's her in my avatar.
So I think my wife also 75 years old, she whines and complains all day long too, But her driver's license say she is 45. O wonder how she get the DMV fool???

You have nice looking lady on your avatar.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If the video isn't too long, try uploading to Youtube. (create an account if you don't have one).
Then paste the link into this thread.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
So happy for you and Maxine! What a lovely name for a lovely lady. Her shell is so beautifully worn smooth.

aztortoisegal

Well that is awesome to hear. Just out of curiosity, who has the oldest tortoise around this forum? Or who had the oldest tortoise at some point?

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Palm Beach
When I took my two ladies, Maxine (Eastern Box) and Star (Florida Box) to the Vet to get their Vitamin A and Calcium shots, he had to give them a Birthday to put into their computers.
Maxine's is Sept. 4, 1936 and Star's is Sept. 4, 1966. These dates may be off, but the years are very close to reality. Now I can give them a special treat on their Birthdays !

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Palm Beach
Sad news today. Maxine passed early this morning. She was having problems breathing yesterday and kept opening and closing her mouth to breath. She was one of the oldest pets that I have ever owned. She came into our backyard in September, exactly one month after the Woodstock Concert. I was only 14 back then.
I guess it was her time. She had a good life. I made a nice small wooden box this afternoon to bury her in.
I kind of knew this day was coming, as I recently acquired two younger eastern boxes a few months ago, to fill her shoes (so to speak).
In a way, I'm glad she was never able to talk. She would have quite a story to tell, after watching me and all my shenanigans over the past 45 years...

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I feel for your loss. It must have been an honor to care for one of these beautiful little creatures for so long.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sorry for your loss. Did your other turtle get a vitamin A shot too? I ask because that's a pretty old school mentality as far as vets are concerned. It's very easy to give them too much which leads to death. She lived a long great life :(

Got anyone picks of her?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Palm Beach
Maxine Sept Forteen.jpg Thanks for your kind words.
Two days after her vitamin A shot last month, Maxine was eating again, but stopped eating 4 days ago, seemed to drool a lot and didn't move around at all. Kind of like my Grandmother did many, many years ago in the Nursing Home just before she passed.

My Florida box, Star, also got an A shot, plus a calcium shot. She's doing fair and is starting to use her back legs again somewhat. She's pretty old also. I've had Star for over 32 years now.

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Palm Beach
20141012_095609.jpeg
I had to give my ol' girl a good send off, so I made her a wood coffin and buried her in our back yard, on top of my German Shephard that I buried six feet down in 1993. My Shephard, Misty, who lived to be 13, will keep Maxine company. Their tombstone is a heavy concrete bird bath that I fill with fresh water for our backyard feathered friends.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A very sad day indeed. Our Box Turtle was well over 70 also, and two years ago he never came up from hibernation, so we are assuming he died. My Dad had him many years before I was born, and we inherited him when my Father died. My only regret is that I don't have any pictures of him. I'm so sorry for your great loss.