My 33 year old Desert Tortoise has a runny nose

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Just this week, I noticed clear discharge coming from his nose. I live in Columbia, California. Looking for a veterinarian, hopefully not too far away. Any recommendations? Modesto is the nearest big town. Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can, just bump up his temp to 85 at least day and night and see if it goes away. Lots of time thats all thats needed.
Specially when a lot of vets can do more harm then good.
Keep temps up for at least a week. If it doesn't improve or he gets worse then a vet visit may be needed.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
He spends summers outside until the nighttime temps drop, usually late October, early November, and then he hibernates in his box in the closet. I can start bringing him in, just for the nights and see if it helps. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If your nights are dropping below 80-85 yes, bring him in and keep the temp up. If the day temps are 80-85 then he can go out. If they are cooler, I would keep him in until the symptom goes away.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
We have had a pretty hot summer, but now, the nights are much cooler-high 50’s last week, so he gets to spend the nights inside. Thanks again

bioteach

10 Year Member!
Just this week, I noticed clear discharge coming from his nose. I live in Columbia, California. Looking for a veterinarian, hopefully not too far away. Any recommendations? Modesto is the nearest big town. Thank you
My DT had this issue earlier this summer, and our vet diagnosed mycoplasma. Apparently, 95% of DT's carry micoplasma in their noses; but most of the time it is not symptomatic. Since she was symptomatic I took her to the nearest exotic animal vet her in Phoenix where she was treated. The treatment consisted of a nasal flush followed up by a two week treatment of antibiotics administered by injection. The first injection was done at the vet's clinic office and the remaining shots (every other day) I was able to administer myself at home. The needle is hair thin and I injected her pectoral muscle (alternating right/left) per treatment. She didn't enjoy being injected but it clearly did not hurt her - especially with a nice Hibiscus blossom afterwards. I am happy to say that her follow up exam showed her to be healthy with no discharge whatsoever. She is eating like crazy - perhaps expecting a cold winter?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My DT had this issue earlier this summer, and our vet diagnosed mycoplasma. Apparently, 95% of DT's carry micoplasma in their noses; but most of the time it is not symptomatic. Since she was symptomatic I took her to the nearest exotic animal vet her in Phoenix where she was treated. The treatment consisted of a nasal flush followed up by a two week treatment of antibiotics administered by injection. The first injection was done at the vet's clinic office and the remaining shots (every other day) I was able to administer myself at home. The needle is hair thin and I injected her pectoral muscle (alternating right/left) per treatment. She didn't enjoy being injected but it clearly did not hurt her - especially with a nice Hibiscus blossom afterwards. I am happy to say that her follow up exam showed her to be healthy with no discharge whatsoever. She is eating like crazy - perhaps expecting a cold winter?
Unless your vet did a specific test for micoplasma, he's just guessing. Last I heard the only place testing for micoplasma is someplace in Florida.

ColumbiaJane

5 Year Member
Well, I’m happy to say he’s eating like crazy and very active. I’m hoping to find a knowledgeable vet maybe in Lodi or Stockton?