My 3, 4 Toes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last summer I picked up 3 Russian tortoise's,The first one was a spur of the moment purchase:) that took me 3 trips to Petco to decide to get her. she is a 6 inch female, Since I now had a female I figured I might as well get a male to go with her, ATC had a nice 5 1/2 in male, so bought him, they got along fine, I had built them a 6 x 12 foot pen with plenty of food growing in it and places to hide from each other and me if they wanted to.Wouldn't you know it the next time I stopped at Petco to get crickets they had another very nice 5 1/2 inch female, I didn't wait a couple weeks I bought her on site.When the weather was still kind of warm but the days were getting shorter they all went under and stayed under so I put them in a Tupperware container that I used to raise roaches in, I left them alone for about six weeks in a cool area of one of my sheds, not knowing their history I didn't want to leave them all winter so I brought them in and slowly warmed them up. When they were outside in their enclosure I didn't spend much time with them, just made sure the had food, were eating well ( they ate everything ) and getting along with each other. After spending more time with them inside I have found that they are a fantastic species, very smart and very very active, on the go all the time,and will eat just about anything I offer them including mazuri.I had to put them in a container just to get a pic of the three of them together and they weren't happy about that, kept scratching at the sides to get out. Even though I didn't need or was looking to get any more tortoises (until i saw the first female) I'm glad I have them. Now I understand why they are so popular..

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Very nice :D Do you plan on breeding them?
Thats a good question, If they lay eggs from now until spring before they go back outside I will probably see them lay, but outside I might not even know that eggs were laid unless by chance I see them nesting.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice looking group! You are lucky they get along. They certainly are a fun species to watch.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I naturally have a weakness for Russian's :p XD I just love the looks they give you :D They are a great species :)

Status
Not open for further replies.