My 2nd F2 I.forstenii bloodline,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b

They hatched about one week apart. The ova were laid by#106 in early February. I hatched #106 in 2007. They are together for the picture though in a few weeks I will try to keep them together. I am running out of space keeping them individually.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about forstenii, but I've found that keeping babies in pairs or groups is really beneficial. It seems to make them eat better (competition for the food).

Your new babies are really pretty. I love the jagged edge to the shell. Sounds like your having quite a bit of luck with them.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic Ben. Got plenty of room here for more as you know :D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Nice ,love them

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Yvonne G said:
I don't know anything about forstenii, but I've found that keeping babies in pairs or groups is really beneficial. It seems to make them eat better (competition for the food).

Your new babies are really pretty. I love the jagged edge to the shell. Sounds like your having quite a bit of luck with them.
Thanks. With the forstenii the first few I hatched I attempted to house them together at first. I soon noticed some aggression and separated them, I have always housed them individually since then. I have housed my elongata youngsters together without much incident. A few nose bites at feeding though nothing too aggressive. When I used to hatch redfoots I always housed them together, they certainly did feed better that way.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Boy still say these are some fascinating tortoises! Between their shell color and the jagged edges just so interesting. BTW I bet I know the answer but going to ask. So originally do they believe their shells were jagged to have defend them from predators?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Vickie said:
Boy still say these are some fascinating tortoises! Between their shell color and the jagged edges just so interesting. BTW I bet I know the answer but going to ask. So originally do they believe their shells were jagged to have defend them from predators?
Most likely, they are very uncomfortable to hold especially when they start squirming around and hissing.

Status
Not open for further replies.