My 2017 South African Leos

Slow and steady

Location (City and/or State)
S.E. Florida
Thanks for your observations guys. I'm surprised about the head size, as I always thought males had larger heads. My group is comprised of animals all over the age spectrum, so I don't know if the differences I see are age related, sex related, or just genetic variation. My large female does have really long back toenails, which are amazingly dexterous when she lays, and my 3 y/o male definitely holds his head up high like a brontosaurus when he's high-speed cruising about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look great! I love all of the babies I produce, but some stick out in my mind more than others. I remember Flo fondly, and I almost kept him/her. So glad they have such a good home!

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Some new photos of this group...

They are out growing their transport bin.
View attachment 237377

Some outside time
View attachment 237378

Lunch time in their closed humid chamber - feeding on soaked Mazuri and chopped hibiscus leaf salad.
View attachment 237379

Updated growth chart. Lots of varying growth rates in this group. For reference Chip and Flo are clutch mates and the other four are clutch mates. They are coming up on a year old in mid May and at least 2 maybe 3 will hit 500g by then:)
View attachment 237381
Hey how do you ID your Torts? This growth chart is cool. I have 3 babies and will probably start a growth chart. All I do is take monthly pics of shell length. But my 2 small ones I sometimes can't tell them apart.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
6 beautiful males....... :p lol JJ . They look awesome. Thanks for the update

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
They look great! I love all of the babies I produce, but some stick out in my mind more than others. I remember Flo fondly, and I almost kept him/her. So glad they have such a good home!

Flo is still looking very male based on his anal scutes and has really started to put on the grams... he may be the heaviest one at their next weigh in.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If you jinx this group for me then you owe me a couple of females :)
Hook at brother up with some plastron shots so we can keep track of what they are looking like. One of my young juvies from Rodriguez Chelonians is starting to go male on me :mad:

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Here are some individual photos of the group @diamondbp style;)

Since the beginning of June, they have been spending about 10 - 11 hours outside every day then sleeping in their indoor humid closed chamber each night. Here in Florida the summer months are the monsoon season so the humidity level is always very high. About 50% of their outdoor enclosure is shaded so they can get out of the sun when needed.

1DotButt:
1DotButt1.jpeg

1DotButt2.jpeg

2DotFront (Shelly) - looking more and more female each day. At this point I would very surprised is she turned male.
2DotFront-Shelly-1.jpeg

2DotFront-Shelly2.jpeg

3DotFront
3DotFront1.jpeg

3DotFront2.jpeg

Chip:
chip1.jpeg

chip2.jpeg

Flo - Still looking very male. I would be very surprised if Flo turned female
Flo1.jpeg

Flo2.jpeg

HeartSide: Has a very short tail (female like) but the anal scutes are pretty big (male like).
HeartSide1.jpeg

HeartSide2.jpeg

And finally their growth chart: 3Dot growth rate dropped significantly sine June 1, which I attribute to change in environment. She has been eating each day and her behaviour is normal, I see no signs of illness/worms etc. The other 5 seem to be adjusting to their outside time very will.
Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 3.39.51 PM.png

Last edited:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
@MichaelS this is a good reminder to me of how difficult it is to sex young PP leopards. I don't use the anal scute shape at all because I've seen that change dramatically in a very short period of time. I think the shape/thickness/length below the cloaca is probably the only indicator I would use to guess at that young. They are so much harder to sex than babcocki IMO

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Well I hope that I have at least a couple of females in this group... the next 6 - 12 months will be very telling.