AZGirl

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
hey everyone! I just discovered this beautiful forum and wanted to introduce my tort :):tort:
she's been with me for around 19 years now, I live in Berisso, Argentina. it's very humid here pretty much the entire year. her shell is 23cm long and 16cm wide.
I haven't found much information about the species so I'd like to know how long can they be expected to live, and if she will continue to grow.

View attachment 309725View attachment 309726
What a cute little girl. She looks high profile compared to my DT. Thanks for sharing. We will all need wills to pass down our torts that outlive us! ?

Texangie55

Sealy
@Texangie55 Can we get some more pics of your tortoise? :)
Thanks for the picture request...when he comes back to his lively self after his winter nap I will get some fresh photos up...if I can locate some from this past summer I will get them on here...many years back I posted and created a geocities page for Chaco...I noticed some of my pictures were used by others for identification reference over time...
Will check back as we go forward. Thanks for the nutrition tips...the gravel he is on is not tiny...its actually small rocks...not something he would eat. He does however have berry vines, tomatoes plants and Bermuda type grass thru the spring in his enclosure...I try to not fix...what ain't broken.

Texangie55

Sealy
If what you've been doing as far as temperatures and housing has been working, then I say stick with it. I do think the gravel might eventually cost him his life and that you should rake that up and get rid of it.

The diet you are offering is obviously enough to survive on, but I would spend some time learning a bit more about tortoise nutrition and offer some better foods and much more variety.

I typed this up for sulcatas. If you skip the text and scroll down a bit, there is a long list of good tortoise foods. I'd highly recommend planting some spineless opuntia, as that is one of the primary natural foods of your tortoise and also easy to grow here in the US.
Did I mention I am on a farm in the southern part of Texas...lots of cactus here...and Chaco does get an occasional juicy purple pear from the time to time...we use torches to burn off the spines so they are safe to eat.