MVB shock

Hanami

Location (City and/or State)
New Milton
Hello,
I have a 6 month old Ibera.
She's a super happy tortoise, eating well and growing great.
I recently brought a infrared thermometer to check my bearded dragon temps and I used it on my tortoises table directly under the light on the soil.. it read 56 the first time and 45 not so central the second ? Celsius.
Slightly panicking.
It's a MVB at 30cm distance above the soil which should of given me a 30 degree basking spot.
I don't even.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I have a 6 month old Ibera.
She's a super happy tortoise, eating well and growing great.
I recently brought a infrared thermometer to check my bearded dragon temps and I used it on my tortoises table directly under the light on the soil.. it read 56 the first time and 45 not so central the second ? Celsius.
Slightly panicking.
It's a MVB at 30cm distance above the soil which should of given me a 30 degree basking spot.
I don't even.
First, I wouldn't use a MVB at all. They are very temperamental and the UV levels produced vary wildly from bulb to bulb, and some stop making any UV at all after just 3 months. The worst problem with them is that they cause pyramiding in young animals because they dry out the carapace excessively. Better to use a regular incandescent flood bulb indoors.

What ever type of bulb you use, you need to raise or lower the fixture to get the correct basking temperature under it. This will be much easier if you point the bulb straight down at a flat rock, piece of slate, or piece of sandstone.

Hanami

New Milton
First, I wouldn't use a MVB at all. They are very temperamental and the UV levels produced vary wildly from bulb to bulb, and some stop making any UV at all after just 3 months. The worst problem with them is that they cause pyramiding in young animals because they dry out the carapace excessively. Better to use a regular incandescent flood bulb indoors.

What ever type of bulb you use, you need to raise or lower the fixture to get the correct basking temperature under it. This will be much easier if you point the bulb straight down at a flat rock, piece of slate, or piece of sandstone.
I shall look into other methods then, pyramiding especially is something I'm trying to avoid.
I had a piece of slate under the light and that made it even hotter so I removed it.
It's my fault for assuming and following the directions on the box 30cm = 30 degrees c.
Hopefully I haven't caused any damage ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I shall look into other methods then, pyramiding especially is something I'm trying to avoid.
I had a piece of slate under the light and that made it even hotter so I removed it.
It's my fault for assuming and following the directions on the box 30cm = 30 degrees c.
Hopefully I haven't caused any damage ??
I don't think the slate made it hotter, I think it allowed you to more accurately read the temperature, which is a good thing.

Don't feel bad. I put a MVB over an iguana that was suffering from MBD years ago, and at 18" it literally started making the branch under it smolder. Luckily, my iguana, and your tortoise both had the sense to stay out from under those infernos. Live and learn.

The best method for providing indoor UV is the new T5 HO type florescent tubes. ZooMed makes one and so does Arcadia.

Hanami

New Milton
Okay guys, I really appreciate the advice.
My little tort is odd as she stays under it lol.
The MVB seem to fail terribly as ofc you can't set temps etc, you literally just have to assume the advice it gives you is correct. ?
If either of you would mind showing your set up that would be amazing.
Thanks ?