MVB causing probs with torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok, switched over to solar glo mvb bulbs by exoterra about a month and a half ago. I have been keeping a log of the uvb output and so far so good. But, 2 of my torts eyes are starting to swell shut and pus a bit. In my opinion its the bulbs as their care is spot on. Im going to take the bulbs back and just run a regular bulb for heat and maybe a sun glo tube uvb but not sure. Sick of spending money on stuff thats hurting my animals. So just a heads up that I think these bulbs are messed up and to BE CAREFUL!!!!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I've been using the exact same bulb that you were, and so far I haven't had problems w/my tortoises eyes. Thanks for posting this information. I'm going to be monitoring them a lot more closely from here on out.

Tnewton said:
Ok, switched over to solar glo mvb bulbs by exoterra about a month and a half ago. I have been keeping a log of the uvb output and so far so good. But, 2 of my torts eyes are starting to swell shut and puss a bit. In my opinion its the shitty *** bulbs as their care is spot on. Im going to take the bulbs back and just run a regular bulb for heat and maybe a sun glo tube uvb but not sure. Sick of spending money on stuff thats hurting my animals. So just a heads up that I think these bulbs are messed up and to BE CAREFUL!!!!

Tnewton

5 Year Member
No prob, just wanna give everyone a heads up. We all know coil uvbs are bad so we use MVB's thinking there the best thing for our animals and then stuff like this happens. My sullys seem to be fine with this bulb its my red, yellow, and elongated that seem to have the probs. Makes me wonder if forest dwelling torts eyes are more sensitive to uvb and maybe I should hang the bulbs higher

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Sorry, I have no clue. I would PM Tom or someone that may be able to help you. Good luck... Thanks again for the heads up!

Tnewton said:
No prob, just wanna give everyone a heads up. We all know coil uvbs are bad so we use MVB's thinking there the best thing for our animals and then stuff like this happens. My sullys seem to be fine with this bulb its my red, yellow, and elongated that seem to have the probs. Makes me wonder if forest dwelling torts eyes are more sensitive to uvb and maybe I should hang the bulbs higher

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Do you have the MVB hanging at the minimum recommended distance? i know those solar glows are really strong 120w/160W, im not sure about the UVB/A out put as i only have a powersun and have never had a problem with my torts eyes from it. for your forest torts id put it close to its maximum distance and see if that helps.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tnewton said:

All types of UVB lamps (CFL, MVB, and fluorescent tubes) have been known to harm reptiles. It isn't necessarily the type that is the problem but a defect in the manufacture or design of particular brands. Incorrect use (operator error) is often responsible for some of the problems. To say that all "coil uvbs" are bad (dangerous) is incorrect.

How long do you have the lamp on everyday?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As for eye sensitivity...
1. Red-foots do not generally dwell in deep forest, preferring savannah, grassy openings, etc.- although some are indeed in the rain forest.

2. There is no real evidence that their eyes are any different than other torts.

3. The eyes of young animals of all species are sensitive to bright light and heavy UVB.

4. With MVB, closer is not better. Be sure to follow the maker's recommendations, as well as ensuring that the babies have plenty of shade and hides.

The more I study this issue, the more I think the answer is to use a low-wattage, low UVB output fluorescent bulb combined with either a 'true white' fluorescent (daylight, super white, deluxe white, etc.) or a standard incandescent bulb and phase out the artificial 'supernova' that MVBs and similar bulbs can too easily produce.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Tnewton said:
Ok, switched over to solar glo mvb bulbs by exoterra about a month and a half ago. I have been keeping a log of the uvb output and so far so good. But, 2 of my torts eyes are starting to swell shut and pus a bit. In my opinion its the shitty *** bulbs as their care is spot on. Im going to take the bulbs back and just run a regular bulb for heat and maybe a sun glo tube uvb but not sure. Sick of spending money on stuff thats hurting my animals. So just a heads up that I think these bulbs are messed up and to BE CAREFUL!!!!

Tnewton...Have you been checking the output with a solarmeter?? What are the #?..Is the fixture straight up and down??

If you can't take it back think about sending it to me..I have a solarmeter..I can measure the output at different distance and send it back to you...with a min and max distance based on your bulbs output..

If you think it's flash burn.. Take the light out and you should see an immediate improvement within a day or two..

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Bulb was at LEAST 20 inches from the torts. Im going to cut it out and go with a white bulb. Everyone has their opinions however I do believe these bulbs are way!!!!!! to strong for forest dwelling torts.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Tnewton... At 20" that bulb should be putting out next to zero for UVB.. And UVC rarely carry off more than 3"-4"..unless your bulb wasn't coated at all or your using a reflective dome..

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
With my MVB giving me trouble and me not wanting to package up and ship out a bulb and wait for another one blah blah blah hassle hassle hassle, I think I'm gonna just switch over to strip UVB bulb and regular incandescent bulb or basking bulb/CHE for heat...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Trent....I hope your torts recover well without permanent damage....I know some will swear by the MVBs...and others by the compact florescent coil uvb etc....and I believe there are applications where they are totally appropriate....and I know you have experience in reptile care so if your torts are not doing well with the current lights then you are correct in revamping their lights....what was your prior lighting for them? Did it work well? Are the torts young or adult?

I have the two little 5 inch and 6 inch Redfoot torts that I adopted awhile back....the smaller one absolutely has damage to her vision.. and has to be hand fed 50% of the time..although she is practicing on her own when I make her :D..I believe she likely had some type of exposure to lighting that was to intense for her as well as poor diet....not enough vitamin a...along with she was bullied alot by the larger healthier one....right now and since I adopted them they have had anywhere from 3-8 hours of outdoor time for natural sun and fresh air each day...then in their enclosures I have a simple basking light for heat and uva...then at night I have the night heat bulbs....and when winter comes full on and outside time is not a viable option I will use a 5.0 long tube uvb....just saying :D

Tony the Tank...I wonder :D I I know you are very versed at measuring all types of readings from a variety of bulbs...so my curiosity is this....even if readings are all exact...at desired numbers....a tort still has ill reaction ...would it not be then that there may be a defective bulb...a uber sensitive tort...the sheer brightness causing a bad affect just simply because the light is too bright and constant...especially with a hatchling or young tort who may not have the same sense as an adult to get out of the light? It is possible and therefore ill affect but perfectly functioning bulb but not best application for a particular tort....you know? I don't know if I am expressing my point correctly or not..so please let me know if you get what I mean...and your take...:D

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Angela ..The numbers would show if the bulb was defective...But I was talking to Bob from UVReptile a few days ago .. And we got on the subject of fash burns.. He pointed out a interesting fact... Animals can over radiate especially with a heat producing MVB and suffer flash burns... (The animal is looking for heat following it's instincts to bask will over radiate)..Same as a skier and snow blindness...you can ski a few hrs and your good with no eye protection... Ski the whole day with no eye protection..your in for a miserable nigh..

There have been quite a few papers written on this already... One was actually posted a few days back..

All UVB bulbs have inherit risk....but s I know your aware of the bet setup would be to have a Cold UVB bulb and a separate heat bulb..

They do regulate between the two...I have two narrow beam high intensity UVB bulbs set at 42" (at that height they produce no heat but 330uw UVB)and two 250 watt heat lamps set at 24".. My adult sulcatas will place there head in the exact center of the beam and lay there for a few hrs every morning.... (After that they never stop under the light...) The adults never use the heat lamps...the sub adult female will move into the beam (after the big guys move)and lay there for a few hrs....then move to the heat lamp...

Another example ..Ive also marked the floor so I know the small area in the enclosure where there is no UVB and I have observed the big guys sleep in that area..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tony the Tank (what is your name, if you don't mind:D)

You and I agree in the cold uvb and heat lamp. You and I agree that MVBs do have proper application (but is not the cure all). I also agree that, used Willy nilly, MVBs can create damage to a reptile....hands down.

I do wonder though? If we (silly humans) stare at a bright light for a few moments or so....we have that white imprint within our vision for some time regardless of looking away or shutting our eyes...right? So imagine if you will...a tortoise is in a captive table and a bright light, or two..are on for hours..and are looking at them alot throughout those hours....do you not think there is the chance that, especially in developing eyes, permanent damage from that white imprint can occur? I believe it is very possible..

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Angela..your theory could be spot on its hard to compare the physiology of the torts eyes compared to ours....I've read they can see light in individual spectrums and tell the difference between Them..

Angela..To add another hypothesis..delicate eyes, bright unnatural light, add to that the Keeper looming over and the animal now being coaxed to look up all the time....(And as grazing animals by nature I'm sure there more adapt at looking down...)

ascott said:
Tony the Tank (what is your name, if you don't mind:D)

You and I agree in the cold uvb and heat lamp. You and I agree that MVBs do have proper application (but is not the cure all). I also agree that, used Willy nilly, MVBs can create damage to a reptile....hands down.

I do wonder though? If we (silly humans) stare at a bright light for a few moments or so....we have that white imprint within our vision for some time regardless of looking away or shutting our eyes...right? So imagine if you will...a tortoise is in a captive table and a bright light, or two..are on for hours..and are looking at them alot throughout those hours....do you not think there is the chance that, especially in developing eyes, permanent damage from that white imprint can occur? I believe it is very possible..

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
During the winter I have a ceramic heating coil and an UV bulb inside WalkingRocks house. I have never heard of either being bad for torts but then again this is the 1st forum i've ever been to in the 6 years of caring for him. Are these bulbs bad for him?

I have noticed a little mishaping on his top panels over the last couple of years but thought is was lack of calsium so just added more to his diet with powdered cal on his food.

on one other discussion I've talk about going to Radiant Heat Panels for the roof but what can I safely use for UV during the winter when he stays in most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.