Mushy Poos? (pic for reference...yay...haha)

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
So I've had my RT for 3 weeks now, and his poos are still a bit runny and mushy. Before I got him, it looked like he was being fed just hay and pellets ugh.

Well, I'm not sure if he's still adjusting to the new diet, or if I should be concerned?

He's had a fecal run and it was negative. As far as diet, he has been eating endive, escarole, spring mix, dandelions, mustard greens, carrot tops, watercress, arugula, and Mazuri. I also add some Herbal Tortoise Hay from Tortoise Supply for roughage, and because I don't have weeds available yet due to the weather.

I've attached a photo for the not-faint-of-heart haha. That's what his poos look like most of the time, sometimes they're a tad firmer but he's had maybe one solid "tootsie-roll" since I got him.

Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can't really give you much input on his output, but it looks there's undigested food in there. I may be wrong though.
I've not seen poop like that from my leopard but hopefully someone with more experience can help.
What substrate are you using? He's not been nibbling that has he?

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I can't really give you much input on his output, but it looks there's undigested food in there. I may be wrong though.
I've not seen poop like that from my leopard but hopefully someone with more experience can help.
What substrate are you using? He's not been nibbling that has he?
The substrate looks to be one bark. I've heard those aren't too good for torts as substrate, it's that right?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The substrate looks to be one bark. I've heard those aren't too good for torts as substrate, it's that right?
If RT = Russian Tort then they need a moist substrate for digging in.
Fine orchid bark is Ok for some species but I don't know about other barks.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Could he still be getting accustomed to the new diet? It's been 3 weeks since I got him, but I'm not sure how fast their digestive system works. I'm just worried because his poos don't seem to be getting better.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There systems are pretty slow and they need uvb to help them digest food and absorb minerals etc.
What are you using as a source of uvb?
Warm soaks also help and that's where most torts seem to pee and poop and make sure his temps are right.
Maybe @Yvonne G can help.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
There systems are pretty slow and they need uvb to help them digest food and absorb minerals etc.
What are you using as a source of uvb?
Warm soaks also help and that's where most torts seem to pee and poop and make sure his temps are right.
Maybe @Yvonne G can help.
I use the Arcadia 12% bulb for UV, and it's mounted in accordance to what the Solarmeter told me was right haha.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Don’t worry, good soaks every morning, healthy fibre rich foods such as dandelions should sort that out if that’s the issue. Keep away from high sugar foods such as tomato’s and bell peppers, the gut flora may be all outa whack from his previous diet.:)

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
So I've had my RT for 3 weeks now, and his poos are still a bit runny and mushy. Before I got him, it looked like he was being fed just hay and pellets ugh.

Well, I'm not sure if he's still adjusting to the new diet, or if I should be concerned?

He's had a fecal run and it was negative. As far as diet, he has been eating endive, escarole, spring mix, dandelions, mustard greens, carrot tops, watercress, arugula, and Mazuri. I also add some Herbal Tortoise Hay from Tortoise Supply for roughage, and because I don't have weeds available yet due to the weather.

I've attached a photo for the not-faint-of-heart haha. That's what his poos look like most of the time, sometimes they're a tad firmer but he's had maybe one solid "tootsie-roll" since I got him.

Any input is appreciated!

I switched mine to orchid bark soil mix. I got the fine from amazon. He is only 3 mo old but is very happy and loves to burrow in it. Holds moisture really well.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Did they check him for amoebas or just parasite eggs?
I'm not sure, I'm guessing it was just a standard fecal. I've read only eggs or dead parasites show up in feces?

His poos were a little mushy when I first got him, but he had some solid ones. They started looking like this maybe a week into having him.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome keep him on greens and cactus if you can get it. Stay away from cucumber, bell peppers or squash just greens. You can get some wheatgrass seeds and grow in small tera cata pots. It grows fast and you can trim some on top of the food.