Mushroom D ?

ulkal

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I am a bit confused about whether mushrooms contain d3 or not.
Initially, the plan was to grow oyster mushrooms as an additional (not sole) source of Vitamin D. But the info I read is pretty confusing. So, do mushrooms contain Vitamin D, even when grown indoors?
I read different stuff,like:
1) only wild mushrooms, which got sun rays, contain vitamin d
2) all mushrooms contain vitamin d, but wild growns do more so
3) mushrooms dont contain vitamin d, but if u sun-dry them, they have
tons of vitamin d

Apologies for pretty unsophisticated description. I probably should have made a comic strip out of that.
Thank you
:)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Mushrooms contain D2. I also read when exposed to sun they acquire D3. D2 is not D3 equivalent.
I feed manouria emys oyster mushrooms few times a week. I leave the mushrooms exposed to unfiltered sun for few hours prior to feeding.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Thank you! I read that the chain- structure is different. Vitamin D3 is produced by vertebrates and is found D2 by non-vertebrates, plants, and mushrooms, that correct? It makes sense with the vertebrates and the calcium processing. But does anyone know if
vertebrates (read: tortoises :D ) are able to use/process D2 and make any use of it? Just out of curiosity.

And: would it be advisable to "plant" the mushrooms in the terrarium, in range of the UVB bulb? Winters coming :( .....

mikeh

5 Year Member
I haven't done enough reading to have a solid answer, but I would think that any tortoise species that has ample access to and consumes mushrooms, (D2+protein) will also have access to and be consuming invertebrates and vertebrates alike if opportunity arises (D3+protein).

If I'd plant mushroom in my terrarium they would not last a minute.:)

UVB lights in our application in reality produce very little UVB compared to sun. I am not sure if mushrooms under a UVB lights we use will convert any significant amount to D3. But, if I was frequenting tanning salons, I think mushrooms would be coming along for a tan.

ulkal

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
If I'd plant mushroom in my terrarium they would not last a minute.:)

UVB lights in our application in reality produce very little UVB compared to sun. I am not sure if mushrooms under a UVB lights we use will convert any significant amount to D3. But, if I was frequenting tanning salons, I think mushrooms would be coming along for a tan.

Thanks for the answer!
Thats why I initially wanted to cultivate them outside of the terrarium ;)
How funny would it be, to go to the tanning booth not to tan, but to dry mushrooms.
But maybe worth it, no kidding. Sundried oyster mushrooms are definitely more expensive than growing your own and spend 10 € on an hour tan booth.

Does someone know, if the structural difference in D2 makes it unable to help processing Calcium?