Vjola

Location (City and/or State)
Albania
Almost two years ago I had to adopt a baby tortoise.

I usually take it out (once or twice a day) to eat on nature as i live in an apartment.

Last summer it found a bone and went "crazy". I red somewhere that it was normal, so I let it munch some.

Today I served some, tiny pieces and it loves them. Is it ok to feed them bones?

How often? I don't know the exact age, and I think it is a Testudo gracea or a Hermann's tortoise.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yes it is fine, they eat the bones because they need calcium. However, bones may scrape the throat and personally I would use a cuttlebone or eggshells instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not serve them bones. The tortoise should be getting the minerals and calcium from the food you feed it or from a safe supplement.

What are you feeding your tortoise? If you post some pics we can give you a positive ID.

Vjola

Albania
Hello everyone, thank you for your replies.

When I got it, it was on top of wet bread, and it loved munching it.
I don't offer bread, as I read that is very dangerous to them. Correct me if I'm wrong because it really seemed to love it.
I feed it different types of salads (I get the mix salads which also have shredded carrots in them). It doesn't like the carrots much. Only once in a blue moon.
I feed him dandelions, and other weeds. I have an app which I consult prior to offering those. But is focused on plants and I can't get info about thinks like bones or fruits and veggies.
I also offer strawberries (I remove the seeds) and bits of banana from time to time.

When plants, flowers or fruits that are poisonous to it, come its way, it ignores them completely. Maybe it is instincts?

Attachments

• Juli.jpeg
    Juli.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 7