Multiple tortoise households

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
How much more work is it to have more than one tortoise? I have one Russian tortoise and would love to have a Burmese star. I anticipate having to keep them in separate enclosures, indoors and outdoors. What am I not thinking of?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Hello there,

I currently have three torts, one Russian and two Hermann’s, I will say I looveee it soo much… but it can be a bit more work then just having one.
I think I can tell from your post that you are not planning on breeding them (of course with their own species and not each other) and are planing on having them as reptiles rather then breeders.
So the first thing you need to take into account is that they are quite different species from each other, you are going to need to be sure that you have the proper space for each as well as lighting, and mind you bulbs can be pricey. Next you’ll want to take in account food, my three can go through about 1-2 heads of lettuce a week, that along with weeds, leafs, flowers, pellets, calcium powder, veggies, and everything in between. I am not experienced with Stars but if they have different diets that’s another thing. Next you’ll want to think care wise do you have the time? So many torts end up in rescues because people get one or two and just don’t have the time.. currently that is not a problem for me because I am normally at home with my tortoises, so I have plenty of time to give them checks, feed them, and give them exercise and attention to needs. Next you’ll want to think about price in all, being able to take care of two the way they need to be for their or your entire life.
With all of this being said, it is such a treat getting to know different torts and their different personalities, it is extremely rewarding and if you can do it DO IT and never look back, it is such a awesome and amazingly life changing experience being able to have these creatures under your care! In no means am I trying to steer you away form the idea, by all means, go for it, I have three and it is one of the many blessings in my life! God bless you and I’m exited for you to start your double tort care journey, welcome to the party, lol!

And if anyone has anything to add, you a welcome!

Colorado Springs
Yes, no desire to breed! I am just fascinated by the beautiful Burmese stars. I’d also like to try my hand at a hatchling and see if I couldn’t have an even more interactive tortoise. I have a ways to go first though. I think I’d better focus on Scarlett for at least a year and then see where we are. Also need to convince my husband that we should have another 4’ x 8’ enclosure in our house ?

Colorado Springs
A male Russian tortoise was possibly the most difficult tortoise to start with if my goal was to have more than one tortoise….but I never thought I’d want more than one! This was supposed to be my son’s pet!

Grace-Sophia

Texas
A male Russian tortoise was possibly the most difficult tortoise to start with if my goal was to have more than one tortoise….but I never thought I’d want more than one! This was supposed to be my son’s pet!
Haha, that’s always how it starts, before you know it one will turn into three :oops:
Or at least that’s what happened to me… ?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I currently live with seven tortoises: 4 Russians, a Redfoot, an MEP, and a Hingeback.

They're all in different enclosures, except for three of the Russian females who live together...

It's not seven times more work, but dealing with seven is definitely not the same as dealing with one tortoise.

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I currently have 3 tortoises, leopard, Eastern Hermanns and Western Hermanns. I love my tortoises but I am considering letting 2 move to new homes. It took me almost 11 years before I got another. Good luck

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I just had to rehome one of mine do to needing more room for him and not being able to provide it like I had planned to be able to. It's hard to have to do that. I had 2 different species with 2 different needs and it wasn't necessarily super hard, but it was extra things to do everyday which can add up quickly with everything else we do in our lives.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I just had to rehome one of mine do to needing more room for him and not being able to provide it like I had planned to be able to. It's hard to have to do that. I had 2 different species with 2 different needs and it wasn't necessarily super hard, but it was extra things to do everyday which can add up quickly with everything else we do in our lives.
Just out of curiosity which did you rehome?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
My South african leopard. We were supposed to be in a house already, but I have family not doing very well so it got pushed back to help and he will get far too large to keep up with soon.
That really stinks, but it’s really cool that you have two of the Hermann’s subspecies!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I have 2 Hermanns (Eastern and Western) and a leopard, but I got ones that are similar in care. I don't think I could handle different diets. If I did re-home one it would be my Western Hermanns.

Opuntia

uk
All eastern hermanns. We house them separately. Late summer and early spring they spend a lot of time in the spare bedroom. It can get very messy as one of the boys hate being in the house. During that time of year I do find it a lot of work. They are great ? I'm so lucky to have them.