Multiple flaws with the "For Sale" forums

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The most recent post I made in the for sale section was locked allowing no further replies. Even I, the OP, am unable to reply to my own thread. Since I am unable to even edit it, this has serious complications in updating quantity. In my most recent thread, many of the animals are already sold, but I am unable to even update my own thread to reflect this. This also means no ability to add more pictures, more information, etc.. This is an extremely poor way to run a marketplace and I really don't understand the justification behind it. Why so stringent on everything? What is the difficulty in allowing replies, future thread edits, etc..? I can understand deleting replies if the OP requests it, but deleting posts that say "those animals looks nice" is extremely intrusive.

What gives?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All you have to do is notify a moderator you want to make changes (or move it to 'sold') and we'll unlock the thread for you.

The 'for sale' threads are to sell a turtle or tortoise, not for conversations. It's been working like this for quite a while and you're the first one to complain. If more people feel this way, we need to put it in the help and feedback and open a conversation about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All of what Yvonne said. Closing them to keep all the for sale threads clean of the postings that cluttered the threads and were nothing more then things like "cute tort" "what is it" etc. There are many other places for small talk of the cuteness of a tortoise. The for sale section is not one of them. Like fauna, which I don't believe is cluttered with "cute tort" but is placed in a small area that does not clutter the ad. Members can easily pm you, email you if you have it listed on your profile or you can put other contact info in your ad if you want.
As Yvonne said, any mod will gladly open it for any changes you want to make.
So far it has worked great and I have not seen or gotten any complaints until seeing this one.

Last edited:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I will throw in my complaint. It is inconvenient to have to ask to edit your thread, but I am not able to attach pics. I can anywhere else I try to. Do so all the time, but can't in the for sale section.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
we had received numerous complaints over and over and over again about all the chitchat and chatter on the for sale threads. it's a lot easier to ask a moderator to make the edits then have us browse all the for sale ads deleting all miscellaneous comments just my opinion.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If only the "for sale" posts were open, I'd have the opportunity to childishly randomly post "BOOBIES" in the threads.