Multiple Egyptians in one 6 foot enclosure

CarneAsada

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
I have read the common thread about keeping multiple torts together in the same enclosure but I wanted to ask specifically about the kleinmanni as they are small and I’ve seen some enclosures with multiple ie Chris Leone (on a YouTube video). I was wondering, do the Kleinmanni do alright with other kleinmanni? If so, what’s a good ratio? I am working on finishing a 6 foot enclosure.

Just want clarification to determine if I need to build multiple enclosures etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Will keeps breeding groups together, like one male and a couple females. @Will ??

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
You have noticed the lack of consistent message, by noting you can't produce off spring without co-housing.

So with a few other smaller species and Egyptians, I make the enclosure into partitioned areas. Each has their own part, and at some times they all mingle, and then are separated again. Timing is a bit of effort to work out. Even males seem to get benefit (in term of reproduction) time together to decide who is the better male.

For pancake I put a 'foreign' male into an enclosure of 1.2 or 1.3 . The express aggression to each other, it doesn't take long, and then the foreign males goes back to his enclosure. They both figure they 'won' and breeding is up-ticked for awhile.

Will

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sorry to be brief, but to chime in, here we house animals together, year round, in the enclosures I explain in the link to my care sheet above. We do our groups as follows: 1.3, 2.2, 1.5, 1.4 and then hatchlings and juveniles are housed in separate enclosures. We also have an extra enclosure for a "rogue" male if one chooses to get too bossy or aggressive. This is rare, so the enclosure is usually empty. Males are also switched around to reinvigorate each other from time to time. So far this year we've had great success with eggs and babies hatching.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Sorry to be brief, but to chime in, here we house animals together, year round, in the enclosures I explain in the link to my care sheet above. We do our groups as follows: 1.3, 2.2, 1.5, 1.4 and then hatchlings and juveniles are housed in separate enclosures. We also have an extra enclosure for a "rogue" male if one chooses to get too bossy or aggressive. This is rare, so the enclosure is usually empty. Males are also switched around to reinvigorate each other from time to time. So far this year we've had great success with eggs and babies hatching.

When males are 'switched around' do they end up back with a home group, or does a group have a new male(s) for awhile. Chris I think I know you tend to be very organized, so is this a way to manage males and loose some idea of paternity?

Salspi

Chicago
Glad to hear this. As, I am housing a pair of hatchlings together. I do have the enclosure set up so that if needed I can put the divider in and separate them. I’d be much happier if they got along though