Mulch News

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Today my LPS informed me that they will not stock Cypress mulch because Cypress is not a renewable source. It's on the list of trees that are irreplaceable and necessary to the survival of Louisiana Swamps. Zoomed forest floor was my favorite.

How about that mulch from Lowz? What's the update? Is it doing well for Tortoise keepers?

What else has been good for Greeks?

I have a 4X8 table to fill this week as my kids will be brought out from hibernation and need a lot.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
LPS = Local pet store

I'm not surprised stores are starting to phase out nonrenewable resources like cypress mulch, and frankly, I think it's a wise move for the sake of cypress swamps. Luckily for us gardeners and herpers, there are alternative substrates that are just as good, if not better:

- Coco coir
- Orchid bark
- Top soil
- Potting soil

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Call me dumb, but can't they grow trees?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
Call me dumb, but can't they grow trees?

It's not that simple. For one thing, a tree farm doesn't have the same diversity as an old-growth forest. The tree biomass may be there, but many of the animals that rely on big, ancient trees can't make it and die out.

Even so, a tree farm may be better than a clear cut, but cypress trees can't be farmed the way other trees can. This is because they grow only in flooded, coastal areas, instead of drier, more upland soils. So, there is only a limited amount of cypress swamp around, with limited regeneration ability, and once it's gone, it's pretty much gone. That's why we have to be so judicious about how much cypress we harvest.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So I guess it is not that simple as planting more trees and harvesting them. Plus I imagine the profit margin is not high on them.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
GeoTerraTestudo said:
- Coco coir
- Orchid bark
- Top soil
- Potting soil

Is orchid bark something readily found at lowz or greenhouses?

Does it need to be mixed with anything? I really don't want soil in my front room.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
LPS = Local pet store

:D Thanks. I was raised that LPS stood for Lincoln Public Schools and just have a hard time wrapping my head around a new meaning for it.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
webskipper said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
- Coco coir
- Orchid bark
- Top soil
- Potting soil

Is orchid bark something readily found at lowz or greenhouses?

Does it need to be mixed with anything? I really don't want soil in my front room.

Some people mix the above-mentioned substrates, but they can be used separately, too. Personally, I use 100% coco coir in my indoor pens, because it holds moisture, allows the tortoises to dig, and is cheap and readily available at both garden and pet stores (although like most substrates, it is cheaper at garden stores than at pet stores). I used to use soil, but it allowed fungi and insects to grow, so I got rid of it. Others here on TFO have used orchid bark with success, but I wouldn't use it because it is usually made from fir bark, which does not hold moisture well.

Some people also use sphagnum or peat moss with success, but I do not use it because, like cypress mulch and soil, although it does hold moisture well, it can also harbor fungi and insects. However, in my view, sphagnum moss does not hold moisture quite as well. Also, peat bogs are not a renewable resource, so I'd rather leave sphagnum moss undisturbed.

See also
Thread: "Radiated's new orchid bark substrate"
Thread: "Better-Gro Orchid Bark anyone??"
Article: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html

Jacqui said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
LPS = Local pet store
:D Thanks. I was raised that LPS stood for Lincoln Public Schools and just have a hard time wrapping my head around a new meaning for it.

Ha! I can relate, except being a microbiologist, whenever I see "LPS," I think: "lipopolysaccharide," which is the outer surface of some bacteria. Definitely not the sort of LPS you want to see in a paragraph about tortoises! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Phillip:

Do you have an Orchard Supply Hardware store in Arizona? That's where I buy my orchid bark. It comes in fine, medium and large grade, but I buy the fine. Its very small chunks of clean fir bark and you don't need to add any dirt or coir to it unless you want to. Occasionally I can find it in plant nurseries, but I find bigger bags at Orchard's.

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
How do you think the plantation homes has lasted 300+ yrs no rot, no bug infestation ? Cypress.
This is a very valuable resource that needs to be proteced in the swamps in South Louisiana & the lower states.
The local Bass fishemen hate the trees due to the cypress knees sticking up right below waterline & knocking holes in their 50,000+bass boats & tearing up theiir 15,000 plus 250 HP motors.
Any hardwood mulch should work just as well as cypress & as stated there are alternatives ,
Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Yes i was Born& raised on the Atchafalaya river basin.:)
Mike D

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
emysemys said:
Phillip:

Do you have an Orchard Supply Hardware store in Arizona? That's where I buy my orchid bark. It comes in fine, medium and large grade, but I buy the fine. Its very small chunks of clean fir bark and you don't need to add any dirt or coir to it unless you want to. Occasionally I can find it in plant nurseries, but I find bigger bags at Orchard's.

I checked that store is CA only.

Anything here look acceptable to you?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...lawngarden&field-keywords=orchid+bark&x=0&y=0

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
I went to Home Desperate today and didn't see any Cypress mulch there either. I haven't tried Lowe's yet or any of the fancier garden centers.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tyrtle said:
I went to Home Desperate today and didn't see any Cypress mulch there either. I haven't tried Lowe's yet or any of the fancier garden centers.

I am guessing it's a bit early in the season for them to be stocking it yet in CO. Stores here are just starting to get their pallets of garden center materials in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, Black Gold is the brand I buy at Orchards, but it would be much better if you can find it locally. The shipping on a heavy bag like that would be way more than the bag is worth.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
You probably won't find cypress in the home improvement stores in the western states. You can go on the different websites (lowe's and home depot) and change the store locations and look for what they have in stock and it will be different in different states. Put in a Florida location and you'll probably see it in stock for like $2 for 2 or 3 cuft. They just don't ship it out this way. The little bags of it in the pet stores are in the $9 to $10 range and are pretty small.

I haven't seen big bags/bricks of the coco coir in the home improvement stores around here either.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Jacqui said:
Tyrtle said:

I am guessing it's a bit early in the season for them to be stocking it yet in CO. Stores here are just starting to get their pallets of garden center materials in.

You might be right Jacqui. They had a bunch of stuff already, but maybe they don't have all their stock yet. I'll check back in a couple weeks.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
The best deal I'm finding is zoomed reptibark. It's small or fine fir chips. Same as orchid bark.

24QT bag for $22. Im buying. Few cases so my Lps is selling me them for 18.50 each.

Llreptile com- 2 cubic feet $16 + 18 for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.