Mulberry Tree Prunning

Unkapunka

Location (City and/or State)
Osage City
I can't get rid of my mulberry trees. The more I cut them they just get bigger. Of course this was before I knew my tort would like some. And are hosts ok for them to eat. All kinds or just some special

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I can't get rid of my mulberry trees. The more I cut them they just get bigger. Of course this was before I knew my tort would like some. And are hosts ok for them to eat. All kinds or just some special

Are you asking if Hostas are safe to feed? Yes, like fancy lettuce ?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm still cutting back the same mulberry trees and it hasn't hurt their output of large leaves KIMG1251.JPGAfter rereading this old thread I noticed that some people cut the limbs back during spring and summer. I don't, I just strip the leaves from the limb by hand and where the stripped leaves were removed new leaves and stems with leaves will grow back for future feedings this summer. Some of my trees I'll strip leaves 3 times before the growing season ends and then cut way back sometime during it's dormat winter season. I almost forgot when stripping leaves during the growing season I snap the end of the limbs being stripped to keep them from getting longer. This helps to get more and bigger leaves on the striped limb quicker.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm still cutting back the same mulberry trees and it hasn't hurt their output of large leaves View attachment 349116After rereading this old thread I noticed that some people cut the limbs back during spring and summer. I don't, I just strip the leaves from the limb by hand and where the stripped leaves were removed new leaves and stems with leaves will grow back for future feedings this summer. Some of my trees I'll strip leaves 3 times before the growing season ends and then cut way back sometime during it's dormat winter season. I almost forgot when stripping leaves during the growing season I snap the end of the limbs being stripped to keep them from getting longer. This helps to get more and bigger leaves on the striped limb quicker.
I love this leaf stripping idea. I will try it because my mulberry trees can best be described as anemic.

I did find a whole neighborhood less than a mile from me that is full of giant old mature mulberry trees that produce enormous soft tender leaves. The neighbors there are thrilled to see me cutting the tree back and some of them even come out and help me, urging me to take more branches. There are at least 40 giant mulberry trees in the space of a few small blocks. Never ending food source during the warmer months.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'm still cutting back the same mulberry trees and it hasn't hurt their output of large leaves View attachment 349116After rereading this old thread I noticed that some people cut the limbs back during spring and summer. I don't, I just strip the leaves from the limb by hand and where the stripped leaves were removed new leaves and stems with leaves will grow back for future feedings this summer. Some of my trees I'll strip leaves 3 times before the growing season ends and then cut way back sometime during it's dormat winter season. I almost forgot when stripping leaves during the growing season I snap the end of the limbs being stripped to keep them from getting longer. This helps to get more and bigger leaves on the striped limb quicker.

Hey Len, yes, i do the leaf stripping technique with mulberry leaves as well as our Muscadine grape vines. It’s all so easy & efficient. I do prune some limbs & feed those whole. The hard branches seem to provide a good relatively hard “beak trimmer”.

Your mulberry leaves are pretty darn large. I have to fight with the deer for the good leaves.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been wondering about the leaf stripping. I don't feed many leaves during summer because I want them for winter, but then it's such a race to get all the trees stripped and get the leaves dried and stored. Would love to be able to strip them all summer to prepare for winter and to feed more during summer. So glad you woke this old thread, thanks. Got to get busy stripping leaves.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I love this leaf stripping idea. I will try it because my mulberry trees can best be described as anemic.

I did find a whole neighborhood less than a mile from me that is full of giant old mature mulberry trees that produce enormous soft tender leaves. The neighbors there are thrilled to see me cutting the tree back and some of them even come out and help me, urging me to take more branches. There are at least 40 giant mulberry trees in the space of a few small blocks. Never ending food source during the warmer months.
It's always nice to find a safe and free food source. I feel lucky to be able to grow enough on my small plot of land for summer feeding. Here's a pic of where I got yesterday's last feeding from.KIMG1270.JPG

Len B

10 Year Member!
Hey Len, yes, i do the leaf stripping technique with mulberry leaves as well as our Muscadine grape vines. It’s all so easy & efficient. I do prune some limbs & feed those whole. The hard branches seem to provide a good relatively hard “beak trimmer”.

Your mulberry leaves are pretty darn large. I have to fight with the deer for the good leaves.
I do the same with my wild grapevine. Which has really gone wild this year. I cut it back about 50 feet before it started leafing out this spring. I think it's trying to get that lost footage back.

Len B

10 Year Member!
I have been wondering about the leaf stripping. I don't feed many leaves during summer because I want them for winter, but then it's such a race to get all the trees stripped and get the leaves dried and stored. Would love to be able to strip them all summer to prepare for winter and to feed more during summer. So glad you woke this old thread, thanks. Got to get busy stripping leaves.
I try to get the leaves for winter feeding early because in about a month the older leaves will start getting brittle and some crumble into pieces during removal instead of coming off whole.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I try to get the leaves for winter feeding early because in about a month the older leaves will start getting brittle and some crumble into pieces during removal instead of coming off whole.
I do mine in September usually. They come off fine, not dry and crumbly. My problem is getting them dry. I don't have the room to spread them all out at once. So I usually throw them in a vacuum sealer bag, seal them and freeze them. Works okay but would like to be able to have more that have dried. Being able to do it throughtout summer would be much easier, specially since I bought that round layered weed tent dryer I believe you wrote about. Which works great except for getting them out.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've been growing mulberry trees for 12 years for my tortoises. A few years ago I cut one back during the winter while it was dormant and noticed that it produced more leaves and they were bigger than the leaves on the trees that were not pruned. This first pic was taken late April this year.View attachment 242052 The new growth is just starting to come out. .These pics were taken today.View attachment 242053The branch running from bottom right to upper left is one of the first new branches, At the base of each leaf another new limb starts growingView attachment 242057 View attachment 242058This is the size of the leaves on the first new growth limbsView attachment 242060Not only will you get more and bigger leaves you wont get any berries on the new growth Also the new limbs stay flexible enough to bend them down to get the leaves that are out of reach. In the fall when the growing season ends I start trimming the limbs back and strip the all the leaves off for food or dry for winter food.

YES! I lived on a rental some years back and they fully pruned the giant mulberry trees every year. At first I was sad, thinking my tortoise would miss out on the additional food source...until spring came and BAM the leaves that grew in were awesome. 3 years in a row I experienced that cycle.

snowman04

Saline
This is excellent information. I have a mulberry tree in the back corner of my yard that I just cut off two branches to allow some sun in for my redbud. I will harvest the leaves for otto!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
YES! I lived on a rental some years back and they fully pruned the giant mulberry trees every year. At first I was sad, thinking my tortoise would miss out on the additional food source...until spring came and BAM the leaves that grew in were awesome. 3 years in a row I experienced that cycle.
What time of year did they prune them?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Took these pictures a few days ago just to show how much new growth you get in a season. The first is of the tree where the second pic came from. The mulberry is behind the ROS and at the bottom is grape vine and privit. The branch I cut off measured about 13 feet. The tape measure I had with me was a 12ft and didn't reach the end.KIMG1266.JPGKIMG1267.JPGThis is all new growth from this season, it did just as well in previous years.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What time of year did they prune them?
I don't remember exactly. But I do remember that they butchered the trees BEFORE the leaves actually fell because they didn't want to deal with the mess. Since the leaves were still green, I'd harvest some, dry them out, crush them up and use them as a topper on store greens throughout winter.

Reactions: Tom