Mucus in urate

Kjklea08

Location (City and/or State)
New Haven
My Russian tortoise who has pinworms that we just finished treating now appears to be getting sick with an upper respiratory. I'm trying to help rehab him and get him feeling better but I fear he is just getting worse. I will be taking him to the Vet but I want to know if there is anything I can do or what's normal or not normal. He seems to urate frequently and almost appears to have mucus in it. It use to be a toothpaste consistency. Just yesterday I noticed it's more like a snot consistency and he is going a couple times a day. He also has a runny nose which I've been tipping him forward to help get it out. His eyes are a little gooby in the mornings. His appetite is still really good but he does seem to sleep more. He isn't always basking though. Things that I have been doing. Warm baths to keep him hydrated. Consistent temperature in his crate and spraying it down for humidity. I think today I'm going to put a humidifier in his room to help clear out his nose. I hope I can get into the Vet ASAP.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mucous in the excretions sometimes means he has a different kind of parasites, flaggelates, that need a different medication to get rid of (Flagyl).

Kjklea08

New Haven
Mucous in the excretions sometimes means he has a different kind of parasites, flaggelates, that need a different medication to get rid of (Flagyl).
He just had his stool tested last Thursday and they only found pinworms. Can he get another parasite that quickly?

Kjklea08

New Haven
A humidifier (putting out cold water droplets) causes RIs in torts. So it's not a good idea to use humidifiers if you think he has an infection.
Well the one I have is a heated humidifier that sends out warm mist. Would that be ok to use?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Personally I wouldn't use any humidifier because he could aspirate the steam which may make things worse. I