Mrs. Fire skink had an exciting day...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So, last winter, one of my Fire skinks developed a bulge at the base of its tail. It was one of my breeding pair, so I thought, Great! This must be the male! .. Until I caught them in action a couple times, with my well-endowed "male" on bottom. So maybe not hemipenes.

Today, she got to make the journey down to my favorite herp vet to get checked out. He looked it over, palpated, even aspirated (is that the right word??) a bit of the bulge to make sure... All he found was fat!

Yep, poor lady endured the 2 hr round trip and intense poking and prodding just to find out she has a big butt. I say it was totally worth the peace of mind. Something tells me Mrs. Fatass (hmm, perhaps she should be named Cartman?) would beg to differ, though. :)

1411634495237.jpg

(And yes.. Her tail is just all kinds of weird.. Her "stinger" is a bit that got dropped/nipped off and decided to grow back weird)
1411634513078.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Haha! Well, Tubs will be very happy--she gets her food all to herself for awhile! Even though she got a clean bill of health, I'm keeping her alone for a bit to monitor things. :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
So much for no eggs this year!! I've had big lady on paper towel, just to keep a better eye on her. I found this under her hide today!

1412440512424.jpg

Also, apparently, big lady is not happy about her calories being restricted.. And her "stinger" must have looked like a yummy morsel. So now she's back to nub tail. Why are my animals always so weird? Lol

Anyway, I have to head to work, but I threw her a lay box and will be checking in the moment I get home. Fingers crossed for more fertile eggs.. And that she doesn't snack on them. Weirdo.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
She wound up laying 3 eggs. One infertile. The 2 fertiles are plump, healthy, and have good veins. :) And, of course, mama is chubby as ever, completely unphased by the surprise clutch.