Mr Tubs comes to a new home

Lgarcia

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angele
I have a desert tortoises that I need to move from my moms house to mine. He’s been in our family for 35 years. I want to know what plants I need to remove before I bring him home.
I have an apple tree and pomegranate tree in the space with lavender and other shrubs and succulents.
I plan to remove all the bulbs and increase the height of the outer walls.
What succulents can stay? Would like to keep the fire stick plant if it’s safe.
Thanks for your help
Linda

73F378EE-90AD-438F-B6B4-C2FF5AB0E43F.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only plant I've ever really worried about in my tortoise yards is oleander. Everything the tortoises seems to know whether or not to sample it. For example, bulbs are supposed to be a real good no no, however, I had a group of tortoises that ate my iris down to the ground then dug up the bulbs and ate them too. No ill effects. I think your "fire stick" is a type of Euphorbia. The sap on these plants burns your skin, but I've never seen any of my tortoises try to eat it.

Your new tortoise is going to need a wide open space for sunning, and is there any grass in there?

I hope you'll share pictures when you get the old man home!

Lgarcia

Los Angele
I’m working on clearing out and cutting back the plants. My problem is I fill my green trash container each week and only have made this little progress. This is my 3rd trash week and the can is full without the pile in the picture. He dose eat grass at my moms house and I have grass but I may have to take him out of enclosure to have grass.

1CE74D61-E647-4F55-AC64-572B88DCA1AA.jpeg79D2CFE3-7147-4A7A-AFD2-F01DB3D6BBE1.jpeg

Lgarcia

Los Angele
The only plant I've ever really worried about in my tortoise yards is oleander. Everything the tortoises seems to know whether or not to sample it. For example, bulbs are supposed to be a real good no no, however, I had a group of tortoises that ate my iris down to the ground then dug up the bulbs and ate them too. No ill effects. I think your "fire stick" is a type of Euphorbia. The sap on these plants burns your skin, but I've never seen any of my tortoises try to eat it.

Your new tortoise is going to need a wide open space for sunning, and is there any grass in there?

I hope you'll share pictures when you get the old man home!
image.jpg