Mr. Tortoise Says Hi

Midorikawa

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Hello, new obviously.

I’ve had my tortoise for a little over a year I would say, and have no idea what he or she is. Just found it outside.

I have not actually named it, but lately I’ve been calling it Mr. Tortoise.

Nice to meet everyone!

088928D0-12D1-442F-A571-6F91673A3A7D.jpeg

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Can you post a photo of your turtle and you may be able to get it identified here on the forum. ? Welcome

Midorikawa

AZ
Can you post a photo of your turtle and you may be able to get it identified here on the forum. ? Welcome
Thank you!

Is there a specific thread for that? Or is it okay to do it here in this one?

Midorikawa

AZ
You can do it right here. Then when he is ID'ed, future posts can be on that species' subforum.
Cool. Thank you!

Here is his shell. Clearly nt in the beat condition since he was wild previously.
1344B250-3873-4C97-9C9C-DC8D9BBE301F.jpeg
956B515E-A6E9-4302-A991-A500147FD92C.jpeg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Looks to be either an ornate box turtle or possibly the desert/Sonoran box subspecies. Either way, it's had a tough life. Are you in southern Arizona?

Midorikawa

AZ
Looks to be either an ornate box turtle or possibly the desert/Sonoran box subspecies. Either way, it's had a tough life. Are you in southern Arizona?
Yeah southern Az. So complete desert. From google pictures he seems more desert than ornate. But I’m no expert.

He’s definitely had it rough. Shell is chipped in some places with a whole chunk missing from the front.

I’m now concerned if I’ve been taking care of him right. I’ve noticed a turtle sub forum. I’m guessing that would be the beat place to get advice on caring for him.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
It looks like either way, it's illegal to take a box turtle from the wild in Az. It might not be bad to put it back where you found it. There are a lot of captive bred tortoises available in Az through http://www.arizonatortoisecompound.com if you're interested in keeping one. They have a variety of sizes and species.

But yes, otherwise, I would check out the American box turtle sub forum.

Midorikawa

AZ
It looks like either way, it's illegal to take a box turtle from the wild in Az. It might not be bad to put it back where you found it. There are a lot of captive bred tortoises available in Az through http://www.arizonatortoisecompound.com if you're interested in keeping one. They have a variety of sizes and species.

But yes, otherwise, I would check out the American box turtle sub forum.
Did not know it was illegal. I live in a complex and it’s nothing but buildings around so I don’t think I’ll put it right back where I found it since it’s more likely to die that way. It must have really wandered far. I will be looking into what to properly do with it though, and make sure I get updated on proper care while I research that.

Midorikawa

AZ
If you've had him for over a year, you cannot release him into the wild. Let's get a positive ID on him, and then decide what to do.
At the time I found him a neighbor that had been keeping turtles had moved out. Our complex makes zero sense as a natural environment for turtles, so current theory is he escaped from them, and I would say thankfully so with the condition of his shell.

Currently I’m looking at rehabilitation centers as an option.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Please don't release this turtle. It looks like a gulf coast, and he's NOT native to Arizona. Chances are it's one your neighbor left behind when he moved out. I think its safe to say this is YOUR turtle now. You've had him for a year!

Looks like he was used as a canine chew toy in the past.

Midorikawa

AZ
Hi and welcome!

Please don't release this turtle. It looks like a gulf coast, and he's NOT native to Arizona. Chances are it's one your neighbor left behind when he moved out. I think its safe to say this is YOUR turtle now. You've had him for a year!

Looks like he was used as a canine chew toy in the past.
My complex is of town houses so patios are small with very little dirt or none at all. Dogs are a common pet and we have stray cats all over. We’ve also had coyotes come waltzing in and an owl migrates here in the winter. I wouldn’t doubt if one of these predators had gotten hold of him at some point.

I would be happy if that is its species so I can keep it. Especially since it has gotten used to me over the past year, allowing me to snag a couple of up close pics of it this morning.

EFE0BE2D-6B56-473B-961F-D8C3E58CB8C9.jpeg

I’m wondering if I should try to clean the shell to be able to see it more clearly. But I’m afraid of hurting it at the same time since it’s shell is so beat up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, all that damage is old and well healed and won't cause pain at all under a gentle scrubbing.

Midorikawa

AZ
No, all that damage is old and well healed and won't cause pain at all under a gentle scrubbing.
I had a sulcata years back and used just water and a toothbrush wen I would clean him. Is that the best method, or should I be using something else?