Moving tortoise to different homes

Rebecca olson

Hi! I have had Boris the tortoise for 1 1/2 years. Recently I got a new tortoise home at my boyfriends house as a gift because I was always sad I couldn't be with Boris for a night at my house. I was wondering if it hurts a tortoise to move houses for a weekend or two. And then move him back home. Does this stress them out?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
When Speedy was a hatchling , I would take him out of his enclosure and put him in one that I had set up outside for him to get some sun . He enjoyed being outside and was fine coming back inside . When he moved outside full time , I set up his night box , and let him wander in and out for a few days , then I closed the door and he has slept there since ! No visible trauma , (I hope he isn't scarred for life ! :D) I sometimes think a person can make too big a deal out of stressing out a tortoise , but again that's just my opinion ! ;)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
When Speedy was a hatchling , I would take him out of his enclosure and put him in one that I had set up outside for him to get some sun . He enjoyed being outside and was fine coming back inside . When he moved outside full time , I set up his night box , and let him wander in and out for a few days , then I closed the door and he has slept there since ! No visible trauma , (I hope he isn't scarred for life ! :D) I sometimes think a person can make too big a deal out of stressing out a tortoise , but again that's just my opinion ! ;)
Agree! I move mine all the time and haven't seen any issues whatsoever.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My redfoots don't bat an eye, we've moved 4 times this year changing their living situations each time due to circumstances. BUT some tortoises are very sensitive to change and do not do well. (Traveling between places will likely be the more stressful part) but if you are determined to do it and your tortoise isn't spooky I would recommend that you decorate the pens at each house similarly so he feels at home.

Rebecca olson

. I didn't know if because they take time to warm up to a new home, if that would happen every time I move him around. Or once he gets used to both homes if it would be okay then

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How often do you move yours? Like this wouldn't be an every weekend thing but he would spend a couple days there and then come home with me.
Mine get moved from outside enclosures to inside enclosures daily and then I have 2 different outside enclosure areas that I will put them in. I do that so the grass stays fresh and doesn't get eaten down. It's not a road trip but it's still change. Some torts from what I read don't like change. I've never experienced that myself with my torts or even WC turtles, so you will just have to keep an eye on things and see how yours handles it.

The biggest thing I would be concerned with is keep him at at the right temps during the travel.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The travel would only be 45min- an hour. Should I be concerned about the temps?

Let's say it's cold outside and you have him in the car, something happens and you have to leave him in the car. Now the car gets really cold because you can't leave it running or it's hot out and it gets too hot in the car. It may never happen but it's always something to think about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think if you set up the second habitat similarly to his other one he will eventually get used to being moved occasionally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have had Boris the tortoise for 1 1/2 years. Recently I got a new tortoise home at my boyfriends house as a gift because I was always sad I couldn't be with Boris for a night at my house. I was wondering if it hurts a tortoise to move houses for a weekend or two. And then move him back home. Does this stress them out?

I don't think this will be any problem for your tortoise. Is it a russian? They wander for miles in the wild. As long as the new enclosure meets all of his needs, I think he will eventually come to regard it as another part of "his territory". He might be a little weirded out the first time or two, but it should not be a big deal. Watch his appetite and behavior, and he will tell you.

I'd use a dark plastic tub with a towel on the bottom to transport him, and expect a smelly mess upon arrival.