Moving to CA w/out permit

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I have a small radiata and live in Tampa. I will soon have to move to CA but have no time to get a permit. I don't want to give him up. What do you think the odds are that the TSA will know what species I have? Or does anyone have any advice?

zovick

10 Year Member!
You do NOT need a federal permit to move a Radiated Tortoise which you own from one state to another state with you when you move. The only time a permit is needed is if you SELL your Radiated Tortoise to someone who is a legal resident of a state other than the state of which you are a legal resident. That constitures "interstate commerce" in an endangered species which requires both parties in the sale to have permits no matter where the sale occurs. The critical factor in a SALE is the legal residence of the two parties. If they are from two different states, a CBW Permit is needed.

The TSA has nothing to do with this. It is the USFWS, by the way. Since you asked about the TSA, does that mean you plan to carry the tortoise on a commercial airline flight? I do not believe that will be allowed, and your animal will most likely be confiscated no matter what species of tortoise it may be. The only "pets" which are allowed as carry on items are dogs, cats, and possibly birds to the best of my knowledge.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I mentioned tsa because they'd be the first to uncover the fact that I have a tortoise. Once discovered I didn't know what they'd do. Bring in Fish and wildlife or just say "nice turtle". Maybe I should just ship him to myself.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I'm looking through TSA literature. It doesn't look like they ban turtles/reptiles. The airline may not allow it but he's still small enough to fit in my carry on.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm looking through TSA literature. It doesn't look like they ban turtles/reptiles. The airline may not allow it but he's still small enough to fit in my carry on.

No you cannot put a live animal in your carry on. Live animals have to be in a separate bag and reptiles are not allowed at most (all?) airlines. Besides the law, I imagine putting a live animal through the X-ray would be extremely dangerous. Just ship it the day you leave and receive it the next morning.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would avoid the hassle completely and just shipp the tortoise to yourself. Airlines may one day say yes you can bring the tortoise and the next day they'll say no, it's not a set rules so it may changedepending on who's making the rule that day

zovick

10 Year Member!

If you are really serious about not wanting to part with your your tortoise as you said in your original post, why would you take such a chance? I would highly recommend NOT trying to carry it onto a plane. Maybe TSA would let it through or even miss it entirely, but then again, maybe not. What will you do if they find it and tell you that you cannot take it through the checkpoint?

You could go to your airport today or tomorrow and walk up to the TSA agents at the checkpoint and ask them straight out whether they would allow a tortoise through the checkpoint in your carry-on bag. Then you will know. However, what one agent tells you may not be what the next one tells you, as they each might interpret their rules differently. As I said in my earlier post, I have been advised several times that only dogs, cats, and birds may be carried onto planes, but that was by employees of various different airlines, not TSA.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
No you cannot put a live animal in your carry on. Live animals have to be in a separate bag and reptiles are not allowed at most (all?) airlines. Besides the law, I imagine putting a live animal through the X-ray would be extremely dangerous. Just ship it the day you leave and receive it the next morning.

I wasn't going to put him on the conveyer. Just put him in my bag while boarding.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
A discovered tortoise traveling in secret will be taken away. Call the airlines, ask, then inform them you will have a live animal to check in. Be obvious about what you are shipping (live animal in crate) and no one should have issues. Or ship him to yourself.
Live animals can fly but are kept separate from passengers for safety, health and allergy reasons.

If you are not allowed to ship a reptile call it a hamster... just kidding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I travel with animals all over the world for a living. You cannot carry any reptile on board with you. The airlines don't allow it and there is no way to safely get it through TSA undetected. You can ship your tortoise as cargo so that it is on the same flight as you, or you can overnight ship it with FedEx or UPS.

I wish it were different. It would make my life a heck of a lot easier...

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Thanks everyone. I am going to ship him. Unless I end up driving but I hope I don't have to go through that.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
After seeing all those news about airlines torturing passages , I suggest just get on the I-10 and drive west .plus No one is checking your luggage at the CA state line