Moving outside

Rensai

Location (City and/or State)
VA
hi, I'm picking up a 2 year old Russian Tortoise from a friend today. He's an indoor tortoise. I have built him a 10x10 outdoor run and if possible would love to keep him outside year round (except in cases of harsh weather). I'm in SE VA (about 10 minutes from the NC line). Currenrly our day temps.are around 70 with a few 80+ days thrown in. Nights are around 50. Can I just throw an indoor tortoise into this temp change? I feel like that's a harsh difference so how would I transition him? I have experience with reptiles and understand the needs of a tortoise but since Russians are from a harsher climate I assume he'll do well outside.. but I don't want to shock the poor guy with the temp change. Thanks! I'm enjoying reading all the threads and have already learned a lot.

L

LasTortugasNinja

He needs a basking spot at 95 to 105 degrees. Really recommend getting a temperature gun. Take readings at different spots at different times. He'll walk around and regulate his own temp based on his needs and the time of day. Also, use your hand and dig a small hole and take a temp of the soil below the surface. often this is 5 to 10 degrees warmer or cooler. That will give you an idea of all the temperatures available to him. 50 degree nights might be a little cool unless the soil keeps the heat. I generally put mine outside in the mornings when it's 60 degrees or higher and the daily high is 78 or higher. I have a concrete brick he buries under that gets to 99 to 110 even in 70 degree weather.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
He'll do great outside, it really won't effect him, except positively. If it it 50 degrees or up at night then it is fine to leave him out at night. If it drops to 40s, bring him in. If it is 55-60 or up and sunny, he'll be able to warm up enough to eat, bask, digest.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Large cold front moving through the DELMARVA area this weekend, not sure how this will impact you in your location. Id say once this passes, you are good to go. Have you decided if you will let it hibernate this Winter or if you will keep it up n active?

good luck

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would bring him home with the complete indoor enclosure that he is used to. If that isn't possible, do your best to simulate it.

Then, when the weather is nice, put him outside in the outdoor enclosure for a couple of hours. Keep adding time until he's used to it, and the weather is consistently warmer.

I think shock is the right word. You tortoise can certainly handle those temperatures, but why not ease him in to it slowly. The humidity difference from indoors to outdoors might also be a problem if you don't take some time to acclimate the little guy.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Tortoises don't like change and going from indoors to outdoors is a big change.
A little at a time and warmer sounds good.