moving outdoors

vegas dad

Location (City and/or State)
henderson nevada
hello:

i got a desert tortoise when he/she was very young about 1.5 years ago. Because he/she was so small, I did not want to keep him/her outside so I raised him in a large aquarium. since then he/she has grown and I am wondering the best way to get him/her acclimated to living outside. what size is safe?
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A bit at a time.

I have two desert tortoises that started their life indoors, and now, this year, are ready to be moved outside. So last week I put them in a dishpan and carried them outside to a small, protected, shady (with some sun) outdoor yard, which is equipped with a shelter, a waterer, a feeding tile, plenty of grass and weeds. . . all the comforts of home. I set them down in front of the food and stepped out of sight.

I checked on them about every 15 minutes and after an hour I brought them back inside.

You lengthen the time they're out there each day and eventually leave them out all day.

Because mine are so small I'll continue to bring them in to overnight in a cardboard box, then put them out again each morning.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I do the same thing with Sheldon, it has been a few years for him now. He goes out about 6 am & he comes in at dinner time. I also feed inside to avoid insects attracted to his fruit.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello:

i got a desert tortoise when he/she was very young about 1.5 years ago. Because he/she was so small, I did not want to keep him/her outside so I raised him in a large aquarium. since then he/she has grown and I am wondering the best way to get him/her acclimated to living outside. what size is safe?
Thank you
I do it exactly as Yvonne said. Have a suitable indoor and an outdoor enclosure. I take mine outside, briefly, even when they are little babies. I soak them on way back in before they go back into their indoor enclosures. I start with about an hour for little hatchlings, and gradually increase the time as they gain size. By the time they are about 5 inches, I leave them outside all day, weather permitting, and bring them in to sleep inside at night. When its time to move them outside full time, I like to have an insulated night box so I can control the temps when the weather is uncooperative.

Soak more frequently when the tortoise starts spending more time outside. Hydration is crucial.

More explanation here:

Questions are welcome.