Moving On Up - To a Larger Enclosure

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Getting closer. A bit more progress today. Previous photos showed the 5 mil tarp that is on the bottom, and part way up the sides. I decided to take some PVC trim and cover the tarp edge all the way around the interior. I had stapled this to get it all in place, but thought one solid moulding all around the edges would add yet another barrier to keep both water and/or substrate from trickling down between tarp and wooden sides. The plan is to have a mix of cypress mulch, coconut coir and Canadian sphagnum peat moss for the substrate to a depth of about 6 inches (where tarp meets the moulding).
image.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Just a quick update as things progress here on this new enclosure. Today I cut out the holes where my overhead lights and ceramic heaters will hang. I'll have heavy duty ceramic sockets in the ceiling with the wiring protected by junction boxes on top. Installed and hung the ReptiSun 5.0 UVA/UVB florescent fixture on the left hand side. I should be able to get the wiring all done tomorrow and then final mount the window pane lid.

The idea is to get it all established, proper heating, humidity levels, substrate in place for a good week and then move Sully over without having to worry about proper temps, etc.

Here's a quick picture with the ReptiSun lit up. It should look and function well once complete.

image.jpg

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Just a quick update as things progress here on this new enclosure. Today I cut out the holes where my overhead lights and ceramic heaters will hang. I'll have heavy duty ceramic sockets in the ceiling with the wiring protected by junction boxes on top. Installed and hung the ReptiSun 5.0 UVA/UVB florescent fixture on the left hand side. I should be able to get the wiring all done tomorrow and then final mount the window pane lid.

The idea is to get it all established, proper heating, humidity levels, substrate in place for a good week and then move Sully over without having to worry about proper temps, etc.

Here's a quick picture with the ReptiSun lit up. It should look and function well once complete.

View attachment 110839
Looks really good! I'm excited to see the finished product :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Don't det too excited Mike, but it's coming along, day by day here now. Had to get a few hardware items from Home Depot for the light install since I didn't want to get part way through to only discover a missing bit or bob. So, ceramic light fixtures are now installed and operationally tested. All systems "go" for the install. The lights you see were just to test the system, not what will actually be inside the enclosure. Obviously, the array will be positioned so the lights are hanging from the enclosure's ceiling.

• Pix No. 1 - layout of ceramic fixtures
  • Pix No. 2 - different angle, lighting array
  • Pix No. 3 - test bulbs in place, power to light array
  • Pix No. 4 - NASA we have lift off of Lighting Array Alpha

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Picked up a few bags of orchid bark to add to the substrate. I also have a large bale of peat moss, 15 bricks of coconut coir and some sphagnum moss. Should be set in the substrate department for awhile.

image.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It looks great! But quick note on that coil bulb you're using - that can cause some issues for your tortoise.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes yes, as i posted up above in Post No. 26, the lights that you all are seeing are " test " bulbs to make sure that i had all the electrical goezintas and goezouttas hooked up properly. No coils, no CFLs in sight of our Sully. But thanks for noticing!

As i originally posted:

• The lights you see were just to test the system, not what will actually be inside the enclosure. Obviously, the array will be positioned so the lights are hanging from the enclosure's ceiling.

AbbyLee22

5 Year Member
New Mexico
This might make my beginner show, but I adjust the height of the lights to change the temp. Will these just be on a thermostat to control temps? (May have just answered my own question...)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
This might make my beginner show, but I adjust the height of the lights to change the temp. Will these just be on a thermostat to control temps? (May have just answered my own question...)

• Hi Abby, Yep, you answered your own question. CHE is on a thermostat 24/7, lights come on 0600-1800; UVA//UVB will come on intermittently during "daylight hours."

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good looking enclosure.

May I have your permission to publish this enclosure to a Chinese Tortoise Forum? They will very much enjoy your handy work and the designing idea of yours.

I also looking forward to your update of the interior.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Good looking enclosure.

May I have your permission to publish this enclosure to a Chinese Tortoise Forum? They will very much enjoy your handy work and the designing idea of yours.

I also looking forward to your update of the interior.

Sure, with pleasure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Here's another pix, close to fully done. Gave the top and front an extra coat of exterior paint, especially those areas that will be handled/touched more. I'm going to add a gate hasp to the side that will hook into an eye hook on the lid to keep it propped open during feeding, watering, cleaning times. Will be moving it into final location in the next day or two and put in proper substrate, hide, watering bowl, lights and CHE. Will get it stabilized for temps and humidity levels then relocate Sully from his hatchLing enclosure to his new home.

image.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Ordered and recently received some compressed Exo Terra Coco Husk substrate logs. I picked 10 of these up at a very reasonable price and you can't beat free shipping of such items right to one's front door step! One " log" is to expand up to 7 quarts and the consistency of the husk once rehydrated is really nice. Thick, fluffy and smells nice and earthy as well. I think I already like this a bit more than the coir which is of a much finer consistency. Also picked up a bag of shredded cypress mulch at the garden center for $3.50. Seems good for two cubic feet/56 liters. Both should provide a nice substrate for the new enclosure. Third picture is a close up of the coco husk - looks n feels nice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 34