Mouth rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandokurtz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Cali
Hi so, my 5 year old marginated went missing for about 4 months during which he went and hibernated somewhere. Anyways, I was lucky enough to find him again on march 13, and everything seemed fine with him. He eats like a hog, basks in the sunny parts of his pen, sleeps like a champ and generally acts like he did before his escape. The only thing I noticed different about him was a small chip out of his upper beak, which I assumed was no big deal.
Yesterday though I had him out and realized that it looks much worse now, I am including a pic i took yesterday so you can see what I am talking about. It doesn't seem like it would be mouth rot because it doesn't seem to affect him at all, still eats like a hog, drinks well, runs around his pen and acts how he acted before any of this took place. But I am obviously no expert. He has never been sick or had any problems a day in his life up until now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.1 KB · Views: 103

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just wanted to say that I'm glad you got him back. Looks like he should be okay, hope so.

Mandokurtz

5 Year Member
Northern Cali
Ugh to the mouth rot! Glad that it doesn't look too bad, the concern I have though, is that the day I found him, his beak looked like this:
image.jpg
Whereas now it looks kind of scrunched up and scabby. Maybe I am just worrying about nothing, but better to be safe than sorry :tort:
Actually, maybe I should bathe him again and see if maybe what looks scabby is just some loose shedding or something and see if it brushes off after being soaked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.