Mouth...injury?

RaphsMama

5 Year Member
So my tort somehow got what seemed like a "snag" in the "skin" of her mouth. This is very odd and hard to explain (Thank God for pictures lol) so bare with me, it started out small and gradually peeled back more and more and yesterday the whole little piece came off. The best analogy I can think of is a hang nail, if you don't cut the nail right away, it gradually rips further and further until it eventually just breaks off completely.

Anyhow, there's no bleeding or selling or discoloration of any kind. She's eating and acting perfectly fine, no accompanying symptoms. My concern is if this is going to heal and somehow fill its self back out? Am I under reacting? Is there something I should be doing for it? Just doesn't seem like there'd be much to do about it.

Obviously I'm pretty new at this, this is a unique situation that I was not expecting or prepared for. Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance.

PS- in the photo: The larger to the left is when it was "snagged", the top photo is the normal side, and the bottom photo is current since the piece came off.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1381861078813.jpg
    1381861078813.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 139

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They handle pain much better than we do - they just tune it out. If he's eating and acting normal, then I wouldn't worry about it.

RaphsMama

5 Year Member
Here's a better picture of what it looks like now (she doesn't have her mouth closed all the way, it's just slightly open) do you think it will heal?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1381947203129.jpg
    1381947203129.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 95

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm thinking that the damage was to the edge of the beak and will very slowly regrow much like your thumbnail.

RaphsMama

5 Year Member
As the first picture shows, it began peeling from way back below her eye, will it regrow that far back?

RaphsMama

5 Year Member
Hmm...same area but went further back and up to the front of the beak and it was more than a chip a whole piece came off I tried to get it in the second picture I posted its so hard to explain hopefully it will grow back like yours did tho!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Like Yvonne said, if he isn't bothered by it, then he is probably fine :) that chip in my torts picture fell off and left a gap... smaller than your torts, but I imagine it will heal up the same :)