most "popular" tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I had always thought Russians were the most popular (as in, most widely kept) torts as pets.

But when I look at Kingsnake, I usually don't see too many Russians listed... especially in comparison to Red-Foots. There seems to be an overflow of RF's!

So are RF's the most commonly kept torts? What do you think the "TOP TEN" (in order of popularity) torts are?

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
#1 Russian
#2 Greek
#3 RedFoot
#4 Sulcata
#5 Hermanns
#6 leopard
IDK it could be any. i think it depends on the Market you are in.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
This definitely depends on where you live. Near me its lots of sulcatas and deserts. I don't think I've ever seen an RF in person

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I agree with Josh, seems around me its DT first then Russians and Sulcatas you see a few Testudo (Hermann’s, Greeks etc.) I only know of 1 person with Leopards and one with a Redfoot. and I think that location has a large part to play. In my Tort club they get DT all the time. Very few exotics. In the past 5 years they have gotten only 1 pancake, 1 hingeback and 1 Russian all the rest were DT. I was there when 12 DT came in, in one night.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
wow, i didn't even think of it being based on location! very interesting!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In my area it's russians, sulcattas, and rfs in that order. The russians are by far the most common, following by an occasional sulcatta, and in the last year 2 rf's (I snagged em).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Actually what your seeing on Kingsnake isn't the most popular, it's the fact Redfoots aren't selling. Thats why you see so many and the same ads. The Russians are still selling because they stay small and are still cheaper over all.
You can't go by what petshops carry either as they try to get the cheaper tortoises which are the Testudo species, Russians being top.
Probably the most kept tortoises are still sulcatas right now, with Russians coming in second.

Danny

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You're right, it is the same Red-foots I see over and over! And the thing is, if I had more space, I would be all over some of the bigger females listed! But I'm finally running short on indoor space! (*shock*)

I'm surprised Sulcatas are so popular, is it because most people are uneducated about them?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sulcatas produce large clutches of eggs, so people wholesale them out CHEAP, Therefore shops can buy them cheap and sell them cheap, who cant resist a cute little cheap tortoise right?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Uneducated plus the fact they were about the first tortoise that folks were getting to easily breed. Prices made them cheap, numbers put those cute little hatchlings out where the public could see their cute faces, fall in love, and impulse buy them. Sorta like the Red Eared Sliders of the tort world.

Add to the mix that they are sociable, fairly hardy (exempting things like pyramiding. They thrive well in unfavorable conditions.), almost dog like in personality, and in the early stages that larger size makes them more popular there is just something about their size that connects deep inside. Perhaps something with the fact it's like having a living dinosaur in your home? Their shells are pretty, faces cute or wise, and those legs are awesome. Temperaments are great how many are reported as attacking and biting their owners in aggression?

It's usually not until they get older that folks find out or the reality of exactly what is like to live and deal with when their not so great characteristics sets in. When you realize just what bulldozing, digging, and simple determination to go thru or under something actually means to your home and yard. Was hard to imagine that cute tiny hatchling taking out fences, walls, or just how not so gentle those nudges from them can become. Or how about those huge amounts of wastes they seem to do quite often? 50 lbs doesn't seem so very much, until it's in the form of a stubborn struggling tortoise you have to life and move. Knowing he's still going to grow and get bigger yet.

Then there is the mentality of: it's okay. We can keep him until he gets too large for us to handle and just give him to a zoo or shelter. Like they are just begging to receive all these large torts.:rolleyes:

Now don't get me wrong, they are wonderful animals, it's just not an animal most folks are prepared for, ready to deal with, or equipped for. Thankfully, there are those who are.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I've always thought of sulcattas as the tortoise equivalent of a rabbit. Too bad they don't stay small.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Even rabbits have their larger sizes, like the Flemish Giant. :D I think it's nice having the various sizes. Never cared much for one size fitting all.:D :D The giants torts all awe me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This really isn't an answer to "what is the most popular tort?", but here in Central California this is the way my rescues go per year (approximate number received):
male CA desert tortoises - 25
male sulcata - 15
female sulcata - 2
red ear sliders - 30

I've also rescued leopards, yellow foots, box turtles, but in smaller numbers.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.