Mosquitos...

BoredPotato

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
So, it's becoming warmer again and that means mosquitos! Yeah, those annoying bugs that everyone wants dead.

So, is it possible to use insect spray or something similar around your tortoise? I think it's quite harmful but idk, I am not that knowledgeable. Before I got a tortoise I always leave an bug repellant scent tool through the night killing or shoo-ing away all the bugs, especially the mosquitos. It really helps a lot (Never got any mosquito bite ever again with that)

But now I have a tortoise I need to think if it's harmful for the tortoise. (It's a six month old hermanns tortoise)

If it's harmful then does some safe bug repellent scents/sprays exist? If so, then please mention some

BoredPotato

Netherlands
Do u mean u spray ur yard with a repellent?
No, like I said, it's still a baby tortoise so it's in my room now. And I always have a bug repellent scent thing through the night in the spring/summer to keep away the mosquitos. So I am just asking if bug repellent is harmful and if yes then is there any safe bug repellents that exist?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think you are referring to an air freshener that smells like citronella. Often people burn candles made with it outside, to drive away mosquitoes.

That would not have any poison in it, so should be safe. However, torts are susceptible to lung issues, so I would not subject one to any inhaled chemical.

I just found this...you need to rethink using it...

BoredPotato

Netherlands
I think you are referring to an air freshener that smells like citronella. Often people burn candles made with it outside, to drive away mosquitoes.

That would not have any poison in it, so should be safe. However, torts are susceptible to lung issues, so I would not subject one to any inhaled chemical.

I just found this...you need to rethink using it...

Thank you, I think then I will reposition my tortoise to another room if the mosquitos later on is too much for me.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Ive been using mosquito dunks and bits for several years, they work, even in very wet substrate for sewer flies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can buy potted citronella plants and leave them in the window sills. We planted them all over the back yard and saw a tremendous reduction in the mosquito population last summer. They are very easy to propagate too. I don't care for the citronella smell from mosquito repellent products, but I love the smell of the actual plants.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You can buy potted citronella plants and leave them in the window sills. We planted them all over the back yard and saw a tremendous reduction in the mosquito population last summer. They are very easy to propagate too. I don't care for the citronella smell from mosquito repellent products, but I love the smell of the actual plants.
My three citronella plants, my three hibiscus starts and my cacti were why I got my mini greenhouse!!

Reactions: Tom

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I gave up on trying to control them long ago, I like having the windows and doors open all the time.

There is some kind of mysterious disease inflicting all Indonesian women. It is called 'pusing' (light headed) and is something that can only be cured by rubbing yourself with some eucalyptus or other strong smelling oil. It is an enormous industry here.

I find that all these oils are incredibly effective at repelling them. I wait until I'm bothered by a mosquito and rub it on various places that they like to bite, like the veiny side of my feet, then don't worry about them for the rest of the day. My favorite is the Indonesian version of baby oil, it is very mild all round and you can buy it in nl.